cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

NAM using RMON/Netflow to get Interface utilization?

Gustavo Novais
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a client that recently purchased a NAM-2 and he wants to squeeze all the juice from it.

He has a WAN consisting of a few dozens ISR routers, configured to send Netflow data to the NAM.

The NAM does account and report on application/flow statistics based on NDE from the devices, but he would also like to get the interface utilization statistics (ifPacketsIn, ifPacketsOut, ifBytesIn,ifBytesOut) of each router.

He does manage to see on Monitor the overall interface utilization, but it does not discriminate input or output direction.

What would be the best way to do this on the NAM, if even possible? I'm thinking about using RMON, but would netflow also be a possibility?

He's currently running 4.0 code on the NAM.

Thanks

Gustavo

Thanks for any input.

6 Replies 6

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can get input and output byte and packet stats for individual hosts or applications on an interface by clicking on the app or host in the respective Monitor view, and clicking the Details button. However, the NAM does not provide the raw ifInOctets/ifOutOctets or ifInPackets/ifOutPackets from Netflow sources.

Hi,

thanks for your answer.

Can't we see that info, not even via RMON?

I understand that usually clients use MRTG/RRD for that purpose, and I'd think that the NAM has eveything to do it, its eventually not implemented...

Thanks

Gustavo Novais

No, not even with RMON since the NAM is not monitoring that data. No, the NAM does not do general SNMP polling like MRTG. Cisco does offer a tool which does that, however. It's called the Health and Utilization Monitor, and it is an add-on application to CiscoWorks LMS 3.0.1 and higher.

Hi,

At this moment the customer has CSM 3.2 which include LMS 2.5.

Can we mix and match both products? (CSM3.2 and LMS3.1?)

Unfortunatelly CW bundle and patch organization and dependencias are a nightmare for me, that's why I'm asking...

Thanks a lot for your help

Gustavo Novais

CSM 3.2.2 should be able to co-exist with LMS 3.1 since both use Common Services 3.2.

No, they cannot coexist. CSM and LMS cannot be installed on the same server. However, they can be integrated using DCR and Single Sign On master/slave.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: