Outdoor Camera Install

Unanswered Question
May 8th, 2009

Hi All,

We're preparing to quote a Car Wash customer on Video Surveillance.  They want to monitor the outside parking lots around the perimeter of the building.  Can someone share their thoughts on outdoor deployment of Cisco/Linksys Video Surveillance solution?

What's the pitfalls?

How do you secure cameras mounted outdoors?

We're in Chicago Region, does camera operate well under Chicago weather conditions?

In order to keep cost low, we're thinking about wireless cameras; any suggestions?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
doishi Mon, 05/11/2009 - 12:08

Things you need to consider:

* Since the weather in Chicago runs the extremes of cold and heat, you need to put the camera in an outdoor rated enclosure that has a heater/defroster to keep the enclosure lens clear as well as a fan to keep the camera cool in the summer.

* Unless there is power available near-by, a Power over Ethernet solution might be easier to wire than implemented a wireless solution.

* Enclosures with external wireless antenna are very expensive as well

dizzeh000 Sat, 05/23/2009 - 20:24

Hi Greg,

First off, I have to say that the PVC2300 is an excellent choice for a IP Camera especially when you compare the cost with other brands :)

I dont know much about Chicago, however if it does snow there I would have to agree with Davin's suggestion to have a heater/blower unit within the camera enclosure.

I have the PVC2300 mounted on a 6m pole near the beach in Victoria, Australia using PoE and a Pelco Camera Enclosure (as recommended on the PVC2300 datasheet). The enclosure has seals that keep all the elements out. The location where I have the camera can sometimes get down to 0 celcius, however the enclosure / camera has never "fogged" up.

I would also recommend that you use PoE instead of wireless, this depends on how close it is to a powerpoint and there may also be some issues in finding a enclosure that supports a wireless camera body.

I've attached some images of the camera enclosure that I've mounted to a pole. The single black cable is a network cable. Also the standard cable glands that come with the Pelco enclosures may not have a big enough aperature for feeding a network cable through. You may have to go to your electrical retailer and find appropriate cable glands.

David Zielinski

This Discussion