ASK THE EXPERT - DIGITAL MEDIA SYSTEM

Unanswered Question
May 8th, 2009
User Badges:
  • Gold, 750 points or more

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to get information on digital media systems, digital signage and video portal "desktop video" with Cisco expert Tom LeBlanc. Tom is a technical marketing engineer with Cisco digital media system business unit. He has been with Cisco for 10 years. His responsibilities include digital signage, video portal and Enterprise TV product marketing, creating collateral, delivering presentations at various forums, and providing support and training to both Cisco customers and partners. He provides recommendations for product improvement and quality, improves customer understanding, awareness, and successful adoption of Cisco digital media systems. He also has knowledge on ACNS and WAAS products.

Remember to use the rating system to let Tom know if you have received an adequate response.

Tom might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through May 11, 2009. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
tenaro.gusatu.novici Mon, 05/11/2009 - 02:56
User Badges:

Hi there,

I'll start with some non-technical questions: as far as I remember this area of Cisco portfolio is somehow restricted to Cisco partners. Could you please give us an quick info what is expected, from partner side, so we can sell this to end customers? As far as I remember, somewhere in the old days only ATPs (advanced technology partners) were able to sell this solution.

Best regards,

Tenaro

leblanct Mon, 05/11/2009 - 05:08
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

The DMS system is open to all partners to sell. There are no restrictions.

For information regarding being a Cisco Partner, you can go to

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/index.html

Here you can find all the information you need to become a Cisco Partner.

Smirnova02 Wed, 05/20/2009 - 10:34
User Badges:
joe-vieira Mon, 05/11/2009 - 09:36
User Badges:

Can you post the main link in the Cisco site to get information about this products?

Thanks

Smirnova02 Mon, 05/11/2009 - 12:23
User Badges:

Dear Tom,

I am looking for any information at CISCO.com regarding the Equipment grants for the Universities. I know for sure it exists, but I cannot get any information: no e-mails or phone numbers.

For about 10 years I am working in the area of Power generating devices, green technologies, novel technologies, and nano-materials.

I know that Cisco has a division or group working on these technologies, but I cannot find out what are the names or the phone numbers of the people. I called the phone number but had no luck. They ask for the specific name. I have the SISCO presentation from this group from online but without any contact information.

I am establishing a new laboratory related to the synthesis of nanomaterials using supercritical fluids for green technology applications.

The information about my research and my publications can be found on the UConn website: http://www.cmbe.engr.uconn.edu/facultysmirnova.html

I will appreciate any information that you can share with me regarding the equipment grants and stimulus package money distribution.

Alevtina (Alla) Smirnova, Ph.D

UCONN

Smirnova02 Mon, 05/11/2009 - 12:24
User Badges:

Dear Christopher,

I am looking for any information at CISCO.com regarding the Equipment grants for the Universities. I know for sure it exists, but I cannot get any information: no e-mails or phone numbers.

For about 10 years I am working in the area of Power generating devices, green technologies, novel technologies, and nano-materials.

I know that Cisco has a division or group working on these technologies, but I cannot find out what are the names or the phone numbers of the people. I called the phone number but had no luck. They ask for the specific name. I have the SISCO presentation from this group from online but without any contact information.

I am establishing a new laboratory related to the synthesis of nanomaterials using supercritical fluids for green technology applications.

The information about my research and my publications can be found on the UConn website: http://www.cmbe.engr.uconn.edu/facultysmirnova.html

I will appreciate any information that you can share with me regarding the equipment grants and stimulus package money distribution.

Alevtina (Alla) Smirnova, Ph.D

UCONN

leblanct Mon, 05/11/2009 - 14:34
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Alevtina

This is not my area of expertise. I am in the area of Digital Signage and desktop video systems.

I am not familiar with this group or the technologies that are being developed. My suggestion would be to contact Cisco directly for information on the proper contacts.

Smirnova02 Tue, 05/12/2009 - 05:12
User Badges:

Thank you. I was trying hard, but there are no names, no phone numbers online. Do you know anybody?

Alla

Smirnova02 Tue, 05/12/2009 - 05:16
User Badges:

I am a University professor. When I call the operator from Cisco , she says that she can connect me only to a certain person , but I do not know the names.

leblanct Wed, 05/13/2009 - 06:12
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

We have a program called Product Grant Program on Cisco.com. It will guide you through the application process (You can access it by typing product grant program in the search area at the top right of the NetPro page.

Tom L.

abdulazeezm Thu, 05/14/2009 - 03:29
User Badges:

hi

our corporate site and the remtoe site have been connected through vsat, and the two sites are having Router(3845)for vpns, pix firewall 515 for security, which has separate dmz (ISA)for each sites, each is having separate internet connection through lease lines, the problem now is the remote site lease line went down from isp for the internet.

now can we redirect the internet traffic from the corporate site to the remote site, for that purpose what steps should i have to follow on the pix firewall of remote site, corporate site,(i mean if i ping from from the corporate lan to the remote dmz it should be pingable then only we can do some thing), as well as on the two routers....

your responce will be highly appreciated

Abdul azeez

[email protected]

leblanct Mon, 05/18/2009 - 05:00
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Abdul,

You may want to contact the router specific experts within Netpro:

I suggest:

-Dennis Cai

Cisco ASR 9000 Series Routers

-Group Encrypted Transport VPN

With Anand Nuggihalli

-ASR 1000 Series 20G Embedded Services Processor

with Daniel de la Rosa

Thank You

mhurley131 Tue, 05/19/2009 - 17:07
User Badges:

Hi,

Can you give me a brief idea on the configuration of the DMP-4305G-5.1-K9. Can I configure a wmv file or jpg type slide show and save it on the device itself or does it need to stream from a network server?

Also, does this require the DMP-SW5.1-K9 license file if it is being used as a stand alone box and not part of a DM Manager?

Thanks.

leblanct Tue, 05/19/2009 - 22:11
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

You can have the DMP work as a standalone system. The DMP's can be managed through the DMP GUI or through API commands.

You can copy the content onto the DMP and serve the content from its internal flash drive or have it stream from a network server.

For more information on the DMP's goto:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/video/ps9339/ps7220/prod_white_paper0900aecd805acf12.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/video/digital_media_systems/5_x/5_0/dmp/user/guide/DMPDMcfg.html

The License file is required even though it is being used as a standalone.

b.hsu Thu, 05/21/2009 - 16:44
User Badges:
  • Silver, 250 points or more

Can the system provide an administrative interface? Does that interface include the following fields: administrator name, submission date, length of hosting time, and browse to find field? Please describe the administrative interface.

leblanct Thu, 05/21/2009 - 17:30
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Yes, the Cisco DMM is a component of Cisco DMS. The Cisco DMM is a web-based, easy-to-use content management application for organizing and publishing digital media. It is designed to help content authors upload, catalog, package, and publish all video content to the Cisco Video Portal or other end devices. The Cisco DMM features allow content authors to:

• Easily customize the Cisco Video Portal.

• Add and archive content and assign metadata and keywords.

• Create and manage play lists, ticker alerts, messages, closed captions and promotional interstitials.

• Preview content and manage approval workflow.

• Schedule instant and future deployments.

• Take advantage of compatibility with Cisco ACNS and Cisco Content Engines.

• Manage administrator accounts and permissions.

robert.bernal Thu, 05/21/2009 - 18:25
User Badges:

Hello Tom,

I have been working with my Kit Demo of DMS, but i have some issues when I create Play List with Flash SWF content. Because it display to screen and play very slow and without Audio.

Also i cannot play MP4 video clips in my DMP.

Could you please tell the specific format for SWF Files and MP4 Files to display succesuful.

I took the Trainning of Fastlane for DMS , but i have waiting the Digital Signage training, in this last trainning do i will se this type of issues.

Thanks in Advance.

Robert Bernal.

leblanct Fri, 05/22/2009 - 06:30
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Flash is CPU intensive. There are guide lines that need to be followed when creating Flash content for the DMP's.

A simple overview can be found on the Cisco website at :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/video/ps9339/ps7220/prod_white_paper0900aecd805acf46_ns714_Networking_Solutions_White_Paper.html

MP4 can be played on the DMP but it must have an MPEG2-TS wrapper.

We also offer a best practice for content creation. This should be covered in the Digital signage courses that you plan in attending. If you would like to get a copy of the best practice, please contact your Cisco representative to request for one.

leblanct Fri, 05/22/2009 - 06:57
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

I wanted to add a bit more information regarding flash

*The resolution of the SWF can be up to 1920 x 1080 if the animations that are contained within the SWF are small then you are restricted to a 640x480 region.

*Avoid redraw of the whole screen in your Flash animation.

*Multiple movements on different parts of the screen cause more slowdown than a concentrated movement.

*The FLV recommended resolution should be 320x240.

Actions

This Discussion