ASK THE EXPERT - UNITY 7.X

Unanswered Question
May 8th, 2009

Welcome to the Cisco Networking Professionals Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn how Cisco Unity 7.x can enhance your business productivity with expert Christopher Mcalpin. Christopher holds a certificate in telecommunications and has over 18 years experience in the telecommunications and unified messaging industry to include working as telecom installation and maintenance technician, technical support engineer for a leading voice messaging company and for the last eight years he has been working as a unified communications software test engineer for the Cisco unity messaging product line.

Remember to use the rating system to let Christopher know if you have received an adequate response.

Christopher might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Our moderators will post many of the unanswered questions in other discussion forums shortly after the event. This event lasts through May 22, 2009. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 4.8 (4 ratings)
arun.np.kumar Fri, 05/08/2009 - 21:50

is Cisco 1841 support BGP routing?

May I use ASA5510 as a router with BGP routing?

Marwan ALshawi Sun, 05/10/2009 - 02:48

what is new in unity 7

for example dose it support LDAP intergration

of dose it support integration with meetingplace for VUI like unity connection 7 ?

thank you

Christopher McAlpin Mon, 05/11/2009 - 11:41

For a list of new features in Cisco Unity 7.0(2), see the "New Functionality" section of the Cisco Unity 7.0(2) Release Notes http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/7x/release/notes/702curelnotes.html

In the Cisco Unity 4.2(1) release some work was done to allow third party LDAP Authentication. This provides a method for users to sign in to the Cisco Personal Communications Assistant using their existing LDAP credentials. However that feature was never officially productized.

As for LDAP integration that would allow you to import/synch users from a third party LDAP directory, that feature has never been implemented in Cisco Unity. Cisco Unity Connection however does support third party LDAP integration for both importing/synchronizing as well as authentication. See the Integrating Cisco Unity Connection with an LDAP Directory topic of the System Administration Guide for Cisco Unity Connection Release 7.x

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/administration/guide/7xcucsag306.html

Cisco Unity does not currently support a Meeting Place integration.

I think this may be in the wrong forum, but I will say the following.

1841 Does support BGP Routing. I would defer to someone who has done this before putting into production. My concern would be making sure the router has enough memory to handle the full BGP Tables.

The ASA does not support BGP, but it can flow through it. In other words, you could have a BGP Speaking router behind your ASA (if you chose to). The ASA can supports RIP and OSPF. In 8x it also support EIGRP.

david-lima Mon, 05/11/2009 - 06:07

Hi Christopher, I'm starting with Unity and I would like to understand why CUC is integrated (not unified) messaging.

What is the difference between integrated and unified with CUC and CU?

Best regards.

David.

Christopher McAlpin Mon, 05/11/2009 - 12:16

In a Unified Messaging environment the voice messages are not actually stored on the voice mail server. They are stored on the Microsoft Exchange or IBM Lotus Domino mail store along with faxes and emails. End users can check voice, fax, and email all in one place from either the Telephone User Interface (TUI), or their Microsoft Outlook or Lotus Notes email client with very little configuration by the end user if any at all.

Unified Messaging has many benefits and allows customers to maintain a single directory and mail store however it does require you to have and maintain a Microsoft Exchange or IBM Lotus Domino mail server.

Cisco Unity Connection stores voice messages on the voice mail server itself. This reduces the complexities of installing and maintaining a Microsoft Exchange or IBM Lotus Domino mail server and at the same time for sites whom would like to access voice messages from their email clients, Connection provides a means of setting up an IMAP connection to the voice mail server to access voice messages. Visa Versa for customers whom wish to access emails from the Telephone User Interface (TUI), Connections allows clients to configure an IMAP connection to the email server.

david-lima Tue, 05/12/2009 - 08:18

Hi, thanks for your response, if I choose a CUC, is it possible to receive the voicemails in my own mail account using IMAP?

Thanks and all the best

David

Christopher McAlpin Tue, 05/12/2009 - 11:10

Yes, third-party IMAP clients such as email clients are supported for accessing voice messages from Cisco Unity Connection.

FIROSE P Fri, 05/22/2009 - 09:48

Yes, You have to upgrade Router IOS Plattform in to (ADVIPSERVICESK9-M) on Cisco 1841. Then it is possible to run BGP Routing. Just forget ASA5510 for BGP.

Thanks

shzhang Mon, 05/11/2009 - 17:34

I do have a problem in unity 7.0 standby configuration. And hope can get help here. I have configured two unity 7.0 VM as standby mode. The primary unity is DC and has full exchange 2003 installed. the problem is that secondary unity has problem to access sql database. I re-run failover program and get some error. Is there any way I can un-install failover from the secondary unity and run it again? or I have to un-install unity from secondary server and do a fresh install. Thanks!

Steve

Christopher McAlpin Mon, 05/11/2009 - 19:37

Perhaps your running in to a known issue with a known workaround. More information about the exact error or behavior that your seeing as well as any errors seen in each Cisco Unity servers application event log would be helpful in trying to assist you.

That said, if you wish to remove the server from the enviroment and start over, see the "Replacing Only the Secondary 5.x Server, or Upgrading to Windows 2003" section of the "Reconfiguration and Upgrade Guide for Cisco Unity Release 5.x (With Microsoft Exchange)" to remove any SQL replication from the servers.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/upgrade/guide/ex/5xcuruge150.html

You also mentioned that the primary server was a DC with full Exchange 2003 server installed. When you wish to have Exchange installed on the Cisco Unity server in a failover pair, the supported configuration would be to have Exchange installed on the secondary server. See the "Installing Exchange Software on the Cisco Unity Server" section of the

"Installation Guide for Cisco Unity Release 5.x in a Voice Messaging Configuration with Microsoft Exchange (With Failover Configured)"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/installation/guide/vmexfo/5xcuigvmefo060.html

I would also consider making the secondary server the DC/GC in the above config. I say this because if Exchange is installed on the secondary server and your primary server is the DC/GC, if the primary server becomes unavailable and the secondary server takes over, the Exchange MAPI client used to resolve recipient addresses on the secondary server requires an available GC in order for messages to be delivered to subsribers Exchange mailboxes.

shzhang Tue, 05/12/2009 - 04:23

Thanks for the info. Just want to make clear that I am configuring these two servers as standby redundancy mode, two servers will be split at different data center. I searched cisco docu. Based on this "System Requirements for Cisco Unity Release 7.x", standby requirement section says the excahnge is installed on primary server. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/7x/requirements/7xcusysreq.html#wp575619

In this case, should I promote my secondary server as BDC or as another DC with same domain name. I am not sure if both servers are DCs, do they share one AD, or use its own AD? How do they sync AD? Does unity require access to one AD? I am using VM configuration only. No other DC or exchange off box. Please advise and thanks again for your help.

Christopher McAlpin Tue, 05/12/2009 - 11:03

My apologies, I assumed when you said "standby mode" that you were setting up a typical failover pair and not "standby redundancy".

You are correct. With standby redundancy you have the option of installing Exchange 2003 on the primary server or on a seperate server.

For your chosen configuration "Standby Redundancy When Exchange Server 2003 Is Installed on the Primary Cisco Unity Server" and "the Cisco Unity servers are being installed into a new forest" without any other DC/GC or Exchange boxes, both Cisco Unity servers must be DC/GCs in the same Active Directory domain.

Christopher McAlpin Tue, 05/12/2009 - 14:42

P.S. Just checked with our documentation department and in addition to each Cisco Unity server being a DC/GC you will also want to make sure one or more DNS servers are available. In your case since there are no other servers going to be in the enviroment, you can install DNS on each Cisco Unity server.

The System Requirements will be updated shortly to say:

If the Cisco Unity servers are being installed into a new forest, both must be DC/GCs in the same Active Directory domain and have one or more DNS servers.

shzhang Tue, 05/12/2009 - 04:56

One more question, can I have two DCs with same domain name in same IP subnet? Is it valid configuration? Thanks!

paul_savage Tue, 05/12/2009 - 02:51

Hi Chris,

I have a question with regards to Unity's Call Handler for versions 7 and for previous versions.

Is there a maximum number of calls at any one time that Unity can handle when accepting a call into a call Handler or is it a case that it depends on the number of ports configured/available to take a call?

And is this the same number as previous versions, say 4.2(1) and above.

I appreciate you time.

thanks in advance

regards

Paul

Christopher McAlpin Tue, 05/12/2009 - 10:06

Hi Paul, there is no limit on the number of calls that a call handler can handle at one time other than the number of ports you have available to answer calls. This is true of all versions of Cisco Unity.

HEATH FREEL Tue, 05/12/2009 - 08:41

Hi,

I am trying to create a GDM for a hunt group in unity and thought I had the basics but have run into a couple of issues.

My Hunt Group extension is 2299 and I have tried to do this a couple of ways.

1. in the Hunt Pilot I configured Forward No Answer to the Vociemail pilot - although that gets me to unity it just goes to the default greeting.

2. in the Hunt Pilot I configured Forward No Answer to a DN I created 2298 that is configured for Forward All but it also goes directly to the default greeting.

I thought if I created a "user" and assigned that DN to that user I could then set up the mailbox with a GDM greeting, but since I am using LDAP sync to my active directory I am unable to add the user in CM or Unity.

I have been doing lots of reading and it seems I can do this many different ways but I am just getting lost in all of the options.

Can you point me in the right direction? Should I be creating a user and if so, would I have to create that user in my AD?

I have read that I could do this using a CTI route Point as well, is that the right way to go?

Thanks,

Heath

Christopher McAlpin Tue, 05/12/2009 - 11:25

Heath, you are correct, you can do this many diffrent ways.

I would start off by opening the Call Viewer utility on the Cisco Unity server and placing a test call to see what Cisco Unity is getting for the Forwarding Station number. The Call Viewer utility can be found in the Tools Depot under Switch Integration Tools.

And note that by default Unity routes forwarded calls based on the first redirecting Id. Howver you can change that behavior in the Advanced Settings Tool which is also found in the Tools Depot. The setting is described below:

Conversation - Route by last redirecting ID

By default Unity routes forwarded calls based on the first redirecting Id. Setting this value to "1" will force Unity to, instead, use the last redirecting ID.

NOTE: Not all integrations provide both first or last redirecting Ids. If Unity is configured to route on one and it is not provided but the other is, Unity will instead route by the number provided.

If the value is 0 or missing, Unity routes by the first redirecting ID

If the value is 1, Unity routes by the last redirecting ID.

HEATH FREEL Tue, 05/12/2009 - 12:51

Hi,

Sorry I wasn't specific enough - this is actually a Unity Connection Server and I can't find any Switch Integration tools.

Christopher McAlpin Tue, 05/12/2009 - 13:38

Ahhh... big diffrence.

For Cisco Unity Connection you have a couple options for monitoring the ports.

You can use the Cisco Unified Real-Time Monitoring Tool

See the topics "Real-Time Monitoring Tool Basics", "Understanding Real-Time Monitoring Tool", and "Installing and Configuring Real-Time Monitoring Tool" in the "Cisco Unified Real-Time Monitoring Tool Administration Guide, Release 7.0(1)"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/service/7_0_1/rtmt_master/rtprtmn.html

or the Remote Port Status Monitor which can be downloaded from the Cisco Unity Tools website

http://www.ciscounitytools.com/App_PSM_LL.htm

Both of these tools get installed on a client machine (i.e. your desktop or laptop client) and allow you to monitor the ports on the CUC server.

For the "Use Last (Rather than First) Redirecting Number for Routing Incoming Call" setting, see the "Additional Advanced Conversation Configuration Settings" under the "Changing Conversation Settings for All Users" topic of the "System Administration Guide for Cisco Unity Connection Release 7.x"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/administration/guide/7xcucsag130.html#wp1058550

pgcristovam Wed, 05/13/2009 - 10:06

Hi

It's possible integrate the Unity 7.x with Google Apps?

thanks

Peterson

Christopher McAlpin Thu, 05/14/2009 - 12:22

Hi Peterson, Google Apps is an entire suite of services so I am not sure exactly what type of integration you are looking for.

However, in a nutshell Cisco Unity does not integrate with other mail stores other than the Microsoft Exchnage, or IBM Lotus Domino mail stores within the enviroment in which it is deployed.

You can however configure a subscriber to be notified of new messages at any SMTP address which would include a Google Mail account.

If you are looking for Text to Speech capabilities where email is read back over the phone, Cisco Unity can only access the subscribers associated Exchange or Domino mailbox to playback email messages.

Cisco Unity Connection which has its own native mailstore on box does not require a Microsoft Exchagne or Domino server in the enviroment can also be configured to access a Microsoft Exchange mailbox to play back email messages via TTS.

david-lima Thu, 05/21/2009 - 13:45

Hi Chris, hope you are well. I'm considering to install a Unity 7 and integrate with our IPT network, with TTS and Speech Connect feature, just these questions:

1. I check that Speech Connect only supports english langpack, Is there a chance that Spanish langpack could be released?

2. I need a license for 500 users-exchange. Do I need to order the TTS licences separately?

If I need to order TTS seperately, what is the part code?

Thanks

All the best

David

Anonymous (not verified) Tue, 05/19/2009 - 07:43

mohdashraq Thu, 05/14/2009 - 00:16

Hi,

the unity installation account (UnityInstall) that I used for the installation is the same account for Unity Administration, when I remove the UnityInstall from the Domain Admins group in the active directory I am not able to import users from exchange " permissions error", I need to know the exact permissions required for the unity administration account in order to be able to add new subscriber.

Regards,

Christopher McAlpin Thu, 05/14/2009 - 12:35

The Cisco Unity System Administration account should not require that the account be in the Domain Admins Group in order to access the SA or administer the system. The administration account is simply associated with a Cisco Unity subscriber object that has a Class of Service to be able to access and administer the system. You can use the GrantUnityAccess tool to associate any AD account to a Unity subscriber account that has a COS that allows SA access and administrative privileges.

When you choose to import a user, what happens behind the scenes is the account associated with the AvDSAD service is used. Is the AvDSAD service also running as UnityInstall?

abdulazeezm Thu, 05/14/2009 - 03:35

hi

our corporate site and the remtoe site have been connected through vsat, and the two sites are having Router(3845)for vpns, pix firewall 515 for security, which has separate dmz (ISA)for each sites, each is having separate internet connection through lease lines, the problem now is the remote site lease line went down from isp for the internet.

now can we redirect the internet traffic from the corporate site to the remote site, for that purpose what steps should i have to follow on the pix firewall of remote site, corporate site,(i mean if i ping from from the corporate lan to the remote dmz it should be pingable then only we can do some thing), as well as on the two routers....

your responce will be highly appreciated

Abdul azeez

[email protected]

[email protected]

James Hawkins Thu, 05/14/2009 - 05:11

Hi Christopher,

I have a customer with Unity Connection 2.1 who will be upgrading to 7.x in the next few months.

The system is in the United Kingdom and so uses UK English.

He has asked whether it is possible to change the enrollment process so that the subscriber is interviewed for name and then position and that these are played to callers leaving a message in place of the standard name. I think they want this to be recorded as two prompts and then have them concatenated.

I do not believe that this is possible but think that we may be able to edit the enrollment conversation to say "after the beep state your name and position" rather than just the the default "state your name".

If this is possible please can you tell me where I need to go to edit the prompts - I cannot find anywhere obvious to do this.

thanks

James

Christopher McAlpin Thu, 05/14/2009 - 13:29

Official Answer:

You cannot change what the system prompts say by using Cisco Unity Connection Administration, the Cisco Unity Assistant, or the phone conversation. In fact, customizing system prompts is not supported. Do not delete system prompts, as this can cause system errors. All system prompts are automatically deleted and replaced when you upgrade Cisco Unity Connection (including maintenance upgrades).

Unofficial Suggestion:

Take a look at the following thread which gives an example of how to customize a diffrent Unity Connection prompt. Note that each prompt directory should contain a prompt.ini file which should give a text description of what each prompt in that directory actually says.

http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Unified%20Communications%20and%20Video&topic=IP%20Telephony&topicID=.ee6c829&fromOutline=true&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.2cc024ff/2

HEATH FREEL Thu, 05/14/2009 - 10:44

Hi again Christopher,

Unity Connection 7.0.

I am attempting to attach a Vocie mail message to an email and set it to a user. I did get it working by creating a new IMAP account in my outlook and sending the message with attachment to that account from Unity.

I also tried this using the relay and sending it directly to my exchange mailbox which worked but then the message is not in Unity any more.

What I would like to do it have the message sent to unity with a copy sent to my exchange account. I find it odd that I can do this easily in CUE but that in Unity I have to do this additional IMAP account directly to Unity Connection.

Please tell me there is a way...

Thanks,

Heath

Christopher McAlpin Thu, 05/14/2009 - 12:55

Heath according the the System Administration Guide for Cisco Unity Connection Release 7.x, once you setup a message action to relay the message to another mailstore, the message is no longer available from the Connection server unless it is an email and Connection has an IMAP connection configured to the email account.

Message Actions

Connection uses the message actions settings for a user to determine how to handle the different types of messages that it receives for the user. The message action setting for a particular type of message (voice, email, fax or delivery receipt) affects all messages of that type that are sent to or created on the Connection server from any client (for example, by using the phone interface, the Cisco Unity Assistant, or an IMAP client).

By default, Connection is configured to accept each type of message, an action that causes Connection to place the message in the user mailbox in the applicable Connection mailbox store.

You can use the relay action to instruct Connection to send all messages of a certain type to a different messaging system (such as a corporate email server) for storage and user access. If you choose this option, users are no longer able to access these types of messages from the Connection phone interface, from the Cisco Unity Assistant, or from other clients such as Phone View or Cisco Unified Personal Communicator. (The exception is relaying email messages to an external message store to which Connection is configured to connect so that users can hear their emails read to them when they log on to Connection by phone.) You configure one or more message actions to relay messages to a single SMTP relay address for the user, which you define on the Message Actions page for the user. (You can also configure Message Actions for user templates, or for multiple users at once in the Bulk Edit utility; in these cases, you can use a combination of text and replaceable tokens to define a template for the SMTP address, from which Connection creates a relay address for each individual user.) Note that Connection relays messages through an SMTP smart host, and you must have the smart host configured on the Connection server before you can configure this action for a user or user template.

You can use the reject action to instruct Connection to discard all messages of a particular type that a user receives and send a non-delivery receipt to the message sender.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/connection/7x/administration/guide/7xcucsag175.html

Chris,

Running Unity 7.0(2)_ES19 and playing around with the Visual Voicemail widget. Everything is installed and tested without issue. When I go to use it on a user's phone they enter in their TUI password at the prompt and are given the error "Your account is locked. Contact your administrator to unlock your account." The account is not locked in Unity and we're using Exchange 2003 message store and none of the AD accounts are locked. If I choose details I get an error #874010. I've tried on 3 user's phones and all of them receive the same issue.

-Mike

Christopher McAlpin Fri, 05/15/2009 - 14:33

Are you able to successfully log in to these accounts by calling Cisco Unity and entering the password?

Are the accounts set to force the user to change their "TUI" password on next login?

Are the accounts set to force the user to change their "GUI" password on next login?

What happens if you make a change to the subscribers account login page, change it back and save the page? Can you login using the midlet then?

Christopher McAlpin Mon, 05/18/2009 - 10:22

Doug, unfortunately I am not familiar with support contracts. You might check with your Cisco Account Team.

Christopher McAlpin Mon, 05/18/2009 - 10:20

Doug, unfortunately I am not familiar with support contracts. You might want to check with your Cisco Account Team.

bsmith Mon, 05/18/2009 - 02:55

Hi

I am installing a unified Unity vers 7

So far it has gone well but I have a problem with the following.

When I try to import users most of the users come across except users who have been configured as domain administrators.These fail with an error message "The service AvDSAD does not have the necessary privileges".

I have run the latest Permissions wizard but still have the same problem..Can you help

Christopher McAlpin Mon, 05/18/2009 - 10:26

When running the Permissions Wizard, did you select the option to "Allow Active Directory administrator and operator accounts to have voice mail"?

bsmith Mon, 05/18/2009 - 10:28

Quick answer NO.

If I change that setting will my import work ?

bsmith Mon, 05/18/2009 - 10:40

Many thanks its the first unified install iv'e done..still learning

tenaro.gusatu.novici Tue, 05/19/2009 - 00:54

Hi Chris,

I hope this question will not be out-of-scope. I saw "18 years experience in the telecommunications" and decided to test my luck :)

Is it possible to setup Unity & CUCM & GW not to send CONNECT message back to PSTN even if some welcome message on Unity is currently playing? In other words, there is a law in many countries that protects calling party of being charged for some informal welcome messages that are played by called party. Ideally, it will be perfect to delay CONNECT message after welcome message (or some other advertisement) is played. If you are familiar with this, can you tell us if it has anything to do with Unity and maybe some hints what should we do on CUCM and/or GW...

Thanks in advance,

Tenaro

Christopher McAlpin Tue, 05/19/2009 - 09:26

I believe you are describing a scenario where a PSTN caller calls Cisco Unity and Cisco Unity answers, plays an announcement that the caller is forced to listen to (all DTMF input is ignored during the annoucement) before they can choose a menu option.

You do not want the CONNECT message sent back to the PSTN from the Gateway until the announcement has finished so that they are not charged for that portion of the call.

If I am correct, this would defenitly be a question for the CUCM or Gateway folks.

When the call comes in, Cisco Unity lets CUCM know that it has answered the call so that the audio path can be established. From that point CUCM passes the CONNECT status to the Gateway, and the Gateway would pass that on to the PSTN.

calmichael Tue, 05/19/2009 - 07:07

Regarding both Unity and Unity Connection applications, what is the upside or downside of choosing a SIP based integration or a SCCP based integration with CUCM? Thanks.

Christopher McAlpin Tue, 05/19/2009 - 10:47

CUCM SIP integration does not "currently" support failover with Cisco Unity.

I don't believe callers hear Music On Hold during supervised transfers with SIP integration.

In general CUCM SCCP integration has had alot more traffic and exposure in the field. That said SIP is an open standard and we will likely make more use of alot of the capabilities it offers in future releases.

I would like to point out that Cisco Unity PIMG integrations with legacy PBX's use SIP between Unity and the PIMG device and PIMG does support failover.

calmichael Tue, 05/19/2009 - 07:10

Regarding the use of ASR with Unity Connection. Is there any plans to allow a press or say functionality? In a recent build that I was involved with, it seemed like it was ASR or bust (grin). Thanks.

Actions

This Discussion