Can't connect to Internet.

Unanswered Question
May 8th, 2009

I have set up a small two computer network at home. I have a Cisco (Lynksys) WRT160N V2 Wireless N Broadband Router on the main computer and a Cisco (Lynksys) WMP300N Wireless N adapter on the other computer. I have a Speed Touch ST516 modem.

Now, this was all set up and working fine already. However, the phone line I was using was too long and the internet connection would drop once in a while. So I moved the modem closer to the phone jack and got a 50 foot Cat6 cable to reach the computer. Before I got the new Cat6 cable I had to run the internet directly through the computer so I could work. When I got the new Cat6 and reconnected everything I lost the internet through the router. If I connect the internet direct to my ethernet port on the computer it works fine. But if I plug the internet into the router and connect the router to the ethernet on the computer no internet.

Now, I do remember that the first time I disconnected everything and then ran the internet direct to the computer I got a window come up in my browser to reconfigure the modem. I did so as it was before and it worked ok. But then I got the problem with the router. I configured it to use Routed PPP, PPPoE. I also tried the Bridged Connection setting but that didn't work either. There were two other settings, IP Router and ExpertRouter that I haven't tried.

I wasn't the one who set it up the first time when it was working. It was a tech guy from Best Buy so I don't know how he set it up.

If anyone can help me get this working again I would greatly appreciate it.

EDIT: I just wanted to add something here. Not sure if it matters but wanted to add it just in case. The other cable from the router to the computer is a Cat5 cable, the 50 foot one is Cat6.. not sure if that matters or would maybe be the problem...

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Robert.N.Barrett_2 Sat, 05/09/2009 - 07:40

Since I don't know how you have everything plugged in at the moment, try the following:

- Shut everything down (power it all off)

- Make sure everything is connected properly to use your router (like it was the the BB geek set it up). Your CAT 5/6 cables should be fine.

- Power up the modem

- Power up the router

- Power up the computer

- See if everything works

It sounds like you are using DSL. If so, you will want to make sure your router is properly configured to support any logon parameters for the DSL line. How much did you monkey with the router config? Can you put the router config back to exactly how it was before (when it was working)?

I wish I could help you more with the problem, but you might have better/faster success posting this on the LinkSys forums.

http://forums.linksysbycisco.com/?comm_cc=US&comm_lang=en

Actions

This Discussion