cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASDM 6.2 on a PIX

n.lenevez
Level 1
Level 1

ASDM 6.2 has been released which *finally* supports configuring IPv6 interfaces and ACLs. Previous versions display a 'IPv6 configuration not supported' if you accessed ASDM with any IPv6 config present on the firewall.

In the release notes, Cisco specify that ASDM 6.2 is supported on PIX 515e and up with OS version 8.0(4). The problem seems to be getting ASDM loaded onto the device with only 16mb flash. PIX OS 8.0(4) + ASDM 6.2(1) is about 19mb.

As far as I know there is no way to upgrade the flash in a PIX so is there any other way to use ASDM 6.2? Why does the ASDM need to be present in the flash for it to run when you can install it locally anyway?

2 Replies 2

nlariguet
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem on a PIX515.

8.0.4 and 6.1 are OK but I also wonder why ASDM should be kept on flash since every time I load it on my local machine it starts from a cached version ... is there a way to update the cached version without keeping it wasting space on flash ?

...say like SDM used to do when you install it locally, there's no need to be in flash, so why don't we PIX users can have this functionality considering EVEN the crappy SDM does it for routers ?

sdahlborg
Level 1
Level 1

I also have the same problem on an PIX-515E. The customer has to use ASDM 6.1(5)51 for the PIX-515E. The cutsomer has both old PIX-515E and new ASA firewalls and wants to use the same ASDM version to manage all of them.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card