Views
Helpful
Replies

Access Point Monitoring

hclisschennai
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I have WCS and WLC with 90 LWAP Access Points. I have integrated WCS and WLC and i am able to see all the LWAP in WCS GUI.

The requirement is, when ever some LWAPs are down, i want get an alert in some way to notify this. Now without knowing how to do this, i just seeing the total quantity and if some LWAP is off, i find difficult to find which one is down.

Can you please suggest me the suitable method to get the solution

RBK

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hello rbk,

for simplicity, u can try changing the names of the ap to their specific locations. plot the ap's to the map. once they're offline you'll see right away which ap's are down and where they are located, first by ap names and then by their current location.

this is best done before fixing the each ap. but still doable if the ap's are already fixed. you'll have more work, though.

have ur floor plan ready with the exact ap locations. write down the mac address as you fix the ap's. once the ap registers to the controller you can match it with the floor plan and change the name of the ap with its exact location. example Bldg1-GF-AP01-Lobby, Bldg1-GF-AP02-Lobby, Bldg1-1F-AP01-Reception... etc...

import the map to the WCS and assign the ap's accordngly.

you will know exactly which ap's are off and where they are exactly.

hope this helps!!!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here is a link. Most of my clients will use another monitoring tool to alert them.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/wcs/4.2/configuration/guide/wcsevent.html#wp1132779

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Fella,

Thanks for your information. It helped me.

But my query is not to know how to send the alerts using email or other means. But, I want to track the LWAPs in the network.

For simplicity i put it in this way. For example i have 20 LWAPs in Hostel Building. If by chance two of the LWAPs went down, or powered off, how to know about this. What i am doing is, i am comparing the total quantity, in this example 20 LWAPs and currently associated LWAPs. By this way i find difficult to track which LWAP is down. More over in my network there are 90 LWAPs.

Can you please suggest me the easy way of tracking / identifying which LWAP is down status

Thanks in advance

RBK

You need a network monitoring tool. This way when an ap is not pingable, you will get an alert when that LAP went down and when the LAP came back up. There are alot of tools out there, one I use is HostMonitor or SolarWinds.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Fella,

Yours is very good idea. But in my case all LWAPs are assigned with Dynamic IP address from DHCP server.

More over is not possible to make use of WCS & WLC & Location Appliance to create the scenario i require that is to get some way of indication to know which LWAPs are down currenty like popups / intimation / alerts / logs

RBK

WCS does this by default. whether you use the built in mechanism of WCS or another monitoring tool, you will have to either assign static ips or use dhcp reservations to maintain consistent ip addresses on each AP. I prefer to use the WCS function for this as it works fine and does not require a consistent ip address on each AP.

hello rbk,

for simplicity, u can try changing the names of the ap to their specific locations. plot the ap's to the map. once they're offline you'll see right away which ap's are down and where they are located, first by ap names and then by their current location.

this is best done before fixing the each ap. but still doable if the ap's are already fixed. you'll have more work, though.

have ur floor plan ready with the exact ap locations. write down the mac address as you fix the ap's. once the ap registers to the controller you can match it with the floor plan and change the name of the ap with its exact location. example Bldg1-GF-AP01-Lobby, Bldg1-GF-AP02-Lobby, Bldg1-1F-AP01-Reception... etc...

import the map to the WCS and assign the ap's accordngly.

you will know exactly which ap's are off and where they are exactly.

hope this helps!!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: