Enterprise Wireless Mesh License needed for controller and AP's?

Unanswered Question
May 9th, 2009
User Badges:

If I have a 2112 WLAN Controller and 7 1240AG AP's what licensing do I need to purchase to enable enterprise wireless mesh? Do I need to get the license for the controller (AIR-AP-LIC-M-12)? A license for each AP? Both? Thanks for any replies!

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Rob Huffman Sun, 05/10/2009 - 06:35
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

    Founding Member

  • Cisco Designated VIP,

    2017 IP Telephony, Unified Communications

Hi Andy,

You only require the Mesh license for the Controller not for the individual AP's :)


The Cisco EWM license is required for wireless mesh deployments for the indoor access point platforms, including the Cisco Aironet 1130 and 1240 Series. For the Cisco Aironet 1500 Series, these licenses are not required. These EWM licenses are required for all the WLAN controllers when mesh indoor acess points are associated with the controller. Each WLAN controller has a corresponding EWM license. The license entitles the user to configure as many mesh indoor access points as the controller allows.

The license SKUs are as follows:

• AIR-AP-LIC-RTU=, Cisco Advanced Feature License

• AIR-AP-LIC-M-6, Cisco Advanced Enterprise Wireless Mesh, 6-AP Controller

• ***AIR-AP-LIC-M-12, Cisco Advanced Enterprise Wireless Mesh, 12-AP Controller

• AIR-AP-LIC-M-25, Cisco Advanced Enterprise Wireless Mesh, 25-AP Controller

• AIR-AP-LIC-M-50, Cisco Advanced Enterprise Wireless Mesh, 50-AP Controller

• AIR-AP-LIC-M-100, Cisco Advanced Enterprise Wireless Mesh, 100-AP Controller

• AIR-AP-LIC-M-300, Cisco Advanced Enterprise Wireless Mesh, 300-AP Controller

Cisco Enterprise Wireless Mesh Licensing and Ordering Guide


Hope this helps!


abaranagility Sun, 05/10/2009 - 09:24
User Badges:

YES! That helps greatly! I had read that ordering guide and thought it too good to be true. It seems to me that if you look at the price of the license for the individual AP's vs. the cost of a controller w/ mesh license it will almost always make sense to go with the controller + mesh license.


This Discussion



Trending Topics: Other Wireless Mobility

client could not be authenticated
Network Analysis Module (NAM) Products
Cisco 6500 nam
reason 440 driver failure
Cisco password cracker
Cisco Wireless mode