cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Enterprise Wireless Mesh License needed for controller and AP's?

abaranagility
Level 1
Level 1

If I have a 2112 WLAN Controller and 7 1240AG AP's what licensing do I need to purchase to enable enterprise wireless mesh? Do I need to get the license for the controller (AIR-AP-LIC-M-12)? A license for each AP? Both? Thanks for any replies!

2 Replies 2

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Andy,

You only require the Mesh license for the Controller not for the individual AP's :)

Solution

The Cisco EWM license is required for wireless mesh deployments for the indoor access point platforms, including the Cisco Aironet 1130 and 1240 Series. For the Cisco Aironet 1500 Series, these licenses are not required. These EWM licenses are required for all the WLAN controllers when mesh indoor acess points are associated with the controller. Each WLAN controller has a corresponding EWM license. The license entitles the user to configure as many mesh indoor access points as the controller allows.

The license SKUs are as follows:

• AIR-AP-LIC-RTU=, Cisco Advanced Feature License

• AIR-AP-LIC-M-6, Cisco Advanced Enterprise Wireless Mesh, 6-AP Controller

• ***AIR-AP-LIC-M-12, Cisco Advanced Enterprise Wireless Mesh, 12-AP Controller

• AIR-AP-LIC-M-25, Cisco Advanced Enterprise Wireless Mesh, 25-AP Controller

• AIR-AP-LIC-M-50, Cisco Advanced Enterprise Wireless Mesh, 50-AP Controller

• AIR-AP-LIC-M-100, Cisco Advanced Enterprise Wireless Mesh, 100-AP Controller

• AIR-AP-LIC-M-300, Cisco Advanced Enterprise Wireless Mesh, 300-AP Controller

Cisco Enterprise Wireless Mesh Licensing and Ordering Guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/solutions/collateral/ns340/ns394/ns348/ns767/ordering_guide_c07-482365_ps6521_Products_Brochure.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

YES! That helps greatly! I had read that ordering guide and thought it too good to be true. It seems to me that if you look at the price of the license for the individual AP's vs. the cost of a controller w/ mesh license it will almost always make sense to go with the controller + mesh license.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: