cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1242AG Support Both 802.11a and 802.11g?

khyber117
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 16 1242 AP running 802.11G with both b and g clients connected. I want to use 802.11a for Cisco 7921 wireless phones. Can this AP support both a and g at the same time? How can I achieve this?

Thanks in advance.

Khyber

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

SJessulat_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Khyber,

the AIR-AP1242AG supports both 802.11a and 802.11b/g at the same time.

You just have to set up another SSID for the phones and attach it to the 802.11a-interface. Then you can enablethe 802.11a-interfaces.

You can also use the same SSID for everything. But it is recommended to use separate SSIDs for Data-Clients and Voice-Clients.

Oh, and you have to connect one or two antennas to the 802.11a-interface, too, of course.

Greets,

Sebastian

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

SJessulat_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Khyber,

the AIR-AP1242AG supports both 802.11a and 802.11b/g at the same time.

You just have to set up another SSID for the phones and attach it to the 802.11a-interface. Then you can enablethe 802.11a-interfaces.

You can also use the same SSID for everything. But it is recommended to use separate SSIDs for Data-Clients and Voice-Clients.

Oh, and you have to connect one or two antennas to the 802.11a-interface, too, of course.

Greets,

Sebastian

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Another thing to keep in mind is that 5GHz propagation is less than 2.4GHz. You may want to make sure you have the coverage on the 802.11a side before deploying the phones.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card