Views
Helpful
Replies

Module Failure error

lambay2000
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

1 of the catalyst 6500 switch module is not coming up it gives me the below error.

Module 8, Proc. 0. Failed to bring online because of timer event

%C6KPWR-SP-4-DISABLED: power to module in slot 8 set off (Module Failed SCP dnld)

When i enable the power for the module it waits for the long time and then it gives me the above error.

Anybody face the problem bfore

8 Replies 8

Peter_Kurdziel
Level 1
Level 1

%C6KPWR-4-DISABLED: Power to module in slot [dec] set [chars]

Problem

The switch reports the error message:

%C6KPWR-4-DISABLED: Power to module in slot [dec] set [chars]

This example shows the console output that is displayed when this problem occurs:

%C6KPWR-SP-4-DISABLED: power to module in slot 10 set off (Fabric channel errors)

%C6KPWR-SP-4-DISABLED: power to module in slot 2 set off (Module Failed SCP dnld)

%C6KPWR-SP-4-DISABLED: power to module in slot 9 set off (Module not responding to Keep Alive polling)

Description

This message indicates that the module in the indicated slot was powered off for the indicated reason. [dec] is the slot number, and [chars] indicates the power status.

The switch has its normal vibrations and over time those vibrations can cause a module to slightly come away from the backplane. When this happens, the supervisors keepalive polling does not receive a response from the module within the allotted time and the supervisor reboots the module in order to try to gain a better connection to it. If the module still does not respond to the polls, the supervisor continuously reboots the module, and eventually puts it into error disable and does not allow any power to reach this module.

Workaround

A simple reseat of the module corrects this issue 90 percent of the time. If you reseat the module, it realigns the switch fabric and ensures a firm connection to the backplane.

If the concerned module is the Content Switching Module (CSM), consider the upgrade of the CSM software to a release 4.1(7) or later. This issue is documented at Cisco bug ID CSCei85928 (against CSM software) ( registered customers only) and Cisco bug Id CSCek28863 (against Cisco IOS software) ( registered customers only) .

The latest CSM software can be downloaded from the Cisco Catalyst 6000 Content Switching Module software download page.

Hi,

I have reset the module by the command power cycle module 8 but still it does'nt work,

Any other alternate for the problem i dont have any cisco net smart support so i open a TAC case.

Thanks,

Altaf

Peter mentioned about 'reseat' the module. not just reset. So try to take the module out of chasis and insert it back again.

"A simple reseat of the module corrects this issue 90 percent of the time. If you reseat the module, it realigns the switch fabric and ensures a firm connection to the backplane".

hth

MS

Hi,

I have done this too but no output,also i shifted to another switch but same result.

any another solution.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you post a "sh log", "sh module"?

If you've moved the blade from one chassis to another with the same result, I'm sorry to say this but, I think the blade has just called it in.

Hi,

Logs attatched please advice.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thanks for the attachment. "Proc. 0. Failed to bring online because of timer event" normally signifies that the blade/module has suffered a failure. You'll need to create a TAC in order to be able to RMA the part.

Thanks for all who contribute to help me.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: