Views
Helpful
Replies

Problems with CUPC

mariapenilla
Level 1
Level 1

I have installed CUPC on my computer and configured my Call Manager,

I have added the UPCDIEGO with user diego with a DN shared with a IP phone with the same user on xxx.xx.x.xxx but when i start the CUPC it is unable to connect to the server.

My server has only the Call Manager installed on it.

Could sameone give me steps to follow to make CUPC to work?

Thank you in advance

21 Replies 21

shaunswales
Level 1
Level 1

CUPC will not work with CUCM, you need to change the login server to the Cisco Unified Presence Server.

Please rate if this post answered your question.

CUPC RN

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cupc/7_0/english/release/notes/ol15710.html

Required Servers

The following servers are required for Cisco Unified Personal Communicator operation:

•Cisco Unified Communications Manager is installed in your network and configured to handle call processing and point to point video. It provides Cisco Unified IP Phone control through the Cisco Unified Communications Manager computer telephony interface (CTI). For Cisco Unified Communications Manager details, see the following URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/tsd_products_support_series_home.html

•Cisco Unified Presence is installed and is operational. This server provides the Cisco Unified Personal Communicator client configuration and presence information. For Cisco Unified Presence details, see the following URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6837/tsd_products_support_series_home.html

•LDAP server version 3

At least by the post you only have 1 out of 3 required, so it's impossible for you to use CUPC client if you don't meet requirements.

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

Adrian Saavedra
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Maria,

I recommend you buy a copy of the book "Deploying Cisco Unified Presence" book, by HouTong Luo (Michael). It's a good reference to know how to deploy and troubleshoot CUPS & CUPC.

http://www.lulu.com/content/5552336

Best regards,

- Adrián.

If i understood correctly I should configure the CUCM and install on CUPS and LDAP. Therefore now I am have to start step 2 by intalling the other two required servers (CUPS and LDAP).

Where can i install them??Can they be installed in a virtual machine?Should it have Cisco HW?

I am following the Deploying Cisco Unified Presence too, thank you for the explanation.

Really appreciated.

Hi Maria,

Basically, you need to install CUCM and configure LDAP integration to a LDAP Directory (i.e. Active Directory). Then you install and configure CUPS in another server platform and integrate it to CUCM. Then you can deploy CUPC.

CUPC can only search user in LDAP (this is why LDAP integration in CUCM is required). If not, there might be a good chance to miss phone presence.

You can try CUCM and CUPS on VM (for lab purposes). Then you can set up an Active Directory to test LDAP integration with CUCM.

Best regards.

Justin Brenton
Level 4
Level 4

Hi mariapenilla,

In the UPCDIEGO have you unchecked Enable control of CTI on the CUPC Communictor.

Have you enabled licensing for the CUPS user in CUCM?

Assigned the user to the device?

Ensure the primary extension for the user is selected on the bottom of the page.

Ensure that the username of the user is in the userid field of the Personal Communictor (UPCDIEGO).

Login to CUPS administration and ensure that your DIEGO user is licensed and showing as registered to a CUPS Cluster.

HTH, Please rate

Regards,

Justin

Hi Justin,

I have already followed those steps but if I understood correctly after that I still have to install CUPS and LDAP to make Personal Communicator work.

Right now i was trying to install the Cisco Unified Presence, I have an installation DVD but there are several files and I can't find any exe file.

I tried to find in Cisco the installation file but I don't really know which am i supposed to pick:

Unified Presence Locale Installer

Unified Presence Server (CUPS) Updates

Voice Applications OS and BIOS Updates.

I need a new and full installation. Which file would that be?

Can I install it into a virtual machine with Windows server 2003?

Best regards.

CUPS is linux, EXE files does not exist in linux, that's windows platforms

If you have the install DVD just put it in the DVD tray

Also if you're trying to download CUPS for fresh install it's a no go, only updates are posted. NO BOOTABLE IMAGES ARE POSTED.

You need to place an order for the install media.

HTH

java

HTH

java

Hi Maria,

The virtual machine needs to be Linux. I have CUPS 7 (and also CCX 7) installed using VMWare Server 2 in a Ubuntu Server 9. It works fine.

Best regards,

- Adrián.

Hi Maria,

You will need to install CUPS as a Linux VMWare Image.

After you install CUPS and go through the installation process you will then create a SIP Trunk with CUCM, you will then be able to login to CUPS even without LDAP authentication.

As long as CUPS is synced with CUCM you will be able to login to CUPS.

Regards,

Justin

Hi Adrian,

I am installing Linux Ubuntu server on VMWare Server 2 and during the installation I have the option to install:

DNS sever

LAMP server

Mail server

OpenSSH server

PostgreSQL database

Print server

Samba file server

Tomcat Java server

Virtual Machine host

Manual package selection

Which one did you use?

I tried with the default (DNS server) because it seems that wouldn't affect.

Did you install by console the Cisco Unified Presence by commands?

Which commands did you use?I am not very used to use Linux with such interface. Any guide you could advice me to use?

Thank you very much.

Hi all,

I finally install in VMWare Infrastructure Client two Virtual Machine both with Ubuntu server 9.0.

In one of them i used sudo apt-get install x-window-system-core gnome-core in order to have a graphic interface and easily get into the Cisco Unified Presence installation DVD but I get stacked in this step because I don't know the file I should use, I have several folders: Anaconda-source, isolinux, cisco , redhat dosutils, images...I picked the autorun file but seems it doesn't do anything.

If I try with the Cisco Unified Contact Center same thing happens, no file seem to be installation file for Ubuntu.

Can anyone help me out to know what I should do, I have just installed Ubuntu Server and I have no idea which is the next step to take to have CUPS installed, if anyone has a guide to follow I will kindly appreciate the help.

Hi Maria,

When installing ubuntu server, from the options above I chose Virtual Machine Host.

After installing ubuntu server, you can follow this link step by step to install VMWare Server 2. It's easy n quick.

http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-install-vmware-server-2-on-ubuntu-8.10

Then you access the GUI and start creating your virtual machines.

Good luck.

Hi adrsaagom,

Thanks a lot for all your hints.

Up to now I have installed Ubuntu Server on a virtual machine with VMWare Infrastucture Client and finally got into the Cisco Unified Presence installation using Installing Cisco Unified Presence Server Release 1.0(1)guide.

The problem is that I still getting problems...I got into the Platform Installation Wizard and I got Network Connectivity Check Failure.

I configured the network setup with the ip address of the VM with linux I created , enabled DNS but get connectivity error, I guess I may have done something wrong and I can't ignore this error and consecutively I can't follow the configuration.

I have added the application server on the Call Manager but I was only able to set its name and nothing else was permitted to add, no ip address was set, I imagine this could be an error.

I hope you can help me out, get done with it and I promise I will rate your help with full mark.

Thank you very much for every thing I really appreciated your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: