Views
Helpful
Replies

FWSM multiple context: Syslog + Backup

NguyenT11
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have FWSM in 6500. The FWSM has 10 contexts configured.

Can I perform syslog and and backups to a server on a network connected to the Admin context... or do I have to have visibility to my syslog/backup server from all contexts?

The way it is being done now is that the syslog/backup server has visibility to all contexts on the same FWSM. I don't think this is the best way to do it. Based on the documentation, I think this is possible:

1) Can configure the syslog on the admin context, it can then send syslog messages from all contexts to a single server (on a network accessible from the admin context). can adjust the system id as necessary to differentiate between messages from each context.

2) For backups, I can log into the admin, change to each context and save the running to startup and then just save the config from the Admin context.

I don't manage the firewalls, so I can't test this myself. Appreciate any input.

Thanks,

1 Reply 1

sbilgi
Level 5
Level 5

Configure backup servers either on the client or on the primary FWSM. If you configure backup servers on the FWSM, it pushes the backup server policy to the clients in the group, replacing the backup server list on the client if one is configured.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/fwsm/fwsm31/command/reference/b.pdf

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card