cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP 1252 wireless N

sohocisco
Level 1
Level 1

We have several 1252 AP running in mixed mode. Users authenticate to our RADIUS server using their domain username/pw. Works great. However, we have some new Dell laptops that will only connect as G mode running at 54mbps even though they are N capable.

My question is: Can we setup another Vlan with only N mode and not mixed mode for these N laptops?

3 Replies 3

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

You cannot split a single AP radio up to handle only G-clients on one SSID and N-clients on another since the commands are radio-based.

You can, however, run your 802.11n clients only on 5GHz. This will isolate them to their own radio. It's best practice to have all 802.11n clients on the 5GHz space anyway, since you cannot channel-bond in 2.4GHz. This will leave your G-clients to the 2.4GHz radio without interfering with the 802.11n clients.

Does that help?

Thank you for your response. I thought 802.11n runs on the 2.4Ghz frequency only?

No, 802.11n can run on both the 5.0Ghz and 2.4Ghz frequencies. I think it's generally suggested to run it on the 'A' (5Ghz) channel only becuase of the lack of non-overlapping channels with 2.4Ghz.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: