cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN forwarding question

Brent Rockburn
Level 2
Level 2

I have a c881 router and I have three vlan interfaces, vlan1 (inside) vlan2 (outside backup int) and vlan3(inside of network #2)

I don't want vlan3 to talk to vlan1 at all, but for some reason when I put an ACL for inbound and deny ip to the vlan1 subnet I can still ping a device if I source from vlan3.

What am I doing wrong. Or is there a setting as on the ASA's to stop forwarding from one vlan to another.

Thanks,

Brent

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Brent

If you don't want vlan3 to talk to vlan1 then you should either

1) apply the ACL outbound on vlan 1

OR

2) apply the ACL inbound on vlan 3

assuming the acl looks something like

access-list 101 deny ip

Jon

Yeah, that's what I did (ACL inbound on vlan3) but I was still able to ping into the vlan1 subnet.

Brent

When you did the ping you used a client in vlan 3 ?

Jon

What I did was run

#ping 10.x.x.x sour vlan3

If you did this on the router then that's why it didn't work.

Inbound acl on vlan 3 applies to packets arriving on the vlan 3 interface from clients on vlan 3. But if you sit on the router and use the source address of vlan3 the acl inbound on vlan 3 will not apply to that ping.

You need to test it from a client on the vlan 3 network.

Jon

Just to add to Jon's stuff...

An access-list applied outbound to a vlan interface is traffic going TO machines on that vlan.

An access-list applied inbound to a vlan is traffic coming FROM machines on that vlan.

HTH

Victor

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card