Views
Helpful
Replies

Bonded T1s

skhirbash
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I would like to know how to configure a single T1 DSU/CSU connecting to a single circut but the service provider is provisioning 2 T1/bonded ckts?

Thanks in advance,

sK

31 Replies 31

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you only have one port on your T1 card, you won't be able to use the second circuit. You'll need to either get another card with a single port, or replace your existing card with a dual port card. If you already have that, then you can configure a multilink bundle:

int s0/0

no ip address

encaps ppp

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 0

int s0/1

no ip address

encaps ppp

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 0

int multilink0

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 0

ip address 5.5.5.5 255.255.255.0 <-provider assigned IP address

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Thanks John. That's was my thinking too; however, the service provider is only bringing one cable(one jack) to premises but stating that the CKT is a bonded T1 (Point To Point). So, that's why I have a single T1 DSU/CSU module in place to plug the single ckt in. Is the service provider misleading me or is there another way of configuring the single T1 to use bonded T1s?

Thanks in advance,

sK

Are they bonding them on their end? What you might try is configure one serial interface, and then do a bandwidth speed test to see if you're getting +3Mb.

I don't know of any other way to bond the T1 line because, in my experience, it's usually done at the router end unless the provider is doing something.

HTH,

John

I think that bonding is occuring on the service provider's end. Out of curiosty, how would I perform a bw speed test from the router?

Thanks,

sK

Not from the router, but from a host behind the router. There are a ton of sites out there that can tell you what your up/down speed is.

John

Thanks again John.

sK

Tx,

sK

Hi John,

Sorry for the middle interupt but it is so interesting.

As you said about bandwidth speed test to see if you're getting +3Mb.

Can you just help me out how we can check the bandwidth speed, is it from router or any other devices we need.

Regards,

Naidu.

Hi,

The best way to check BW is to go.for a simple FTP test

Hi Rajesh,

Thanks for your response.

Could you just tell me clearly and give the proper step by step to check BW.

Note: I need to know how much BW i am getting from Provider.

Regards,

Naidu.

Hi John,

What would the proper way to configure the singel serial interface for a Point-to-Point type of service?

Tx,

sk

That depends on the provider. They would provide you an address, and then you'd put it on your serial interface with the proper encapsulation. By default, serial interfaces use hdlc encapsulation. The provider will tell you if it's frame-relay or hdlc.

HTH,

John

Thanks John.

I found out that the type of service we are getting is an at&t MIS type of service. So, I think that the ppp would be the encapsultion used in this case, correct?

Tx,

sK

Ah. I believe so. They should be able to help you with the settings. We're switching over the MIS also to a 20mb line. :)

John

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: