cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

802.1q in q or VLAN stacking

kking2008
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to configure 802.1q in q tunneling over a service provider (not pppoe, or mpls) ethernet link. The SP is doing the VLAN switching for us presently. I send them a VLAN trunk that includes VLANs 100-110 from the hub site and each remote gets one vlan. i.e. remote site b gets trunked vlan 100 only, site c gets 101, etc.

I want to be able to send remote site c more than one VLAN, but the SP will not do it, they suggested 802.1q in q tunnelling so that I can send both 101 and 111 to site C.

1. can I do this using a 4500 with Sup IV at the hub and a 2800 router at the remote site? I found docs that say the sup IV can only do 802.1q in q "passthrough" but don't know what that means.

2. can anyone point me to configuration tips or design guides on how to configure this on the hub site?

thanks,

1 Reply 1

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Passthough means it can pass the packet, but it can not terminate the trunk and strip the VLAN tags off. It's pretty limited on platforms that permit it in the commercial sector. I would use the feature navigator to help narrow down the platforms.

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

Hope that helps

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card