cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

STP on L3 switch

colmgrier
Level 1
Level 1

I have a stack of 3 3750 switches. The switch is configurd as a layer 3 switch, routing over eigrp to other switches. Should I disable stp on the 3750 stack switch. I have IP Phones, LWAP's & pc host connected to the 3750 stack.

What is the advantage/disadvantage of disabling STP? What i Cisco 'best pratice'?

Regards,

C

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Colm

Personally i would not disable STP on a switch even if you think it is not needed. If you do not have any L2 loops then leaving STP on is not doing you any harm. And if someone accidentally connects something up that creates a L2 loop you still have STP to protect you.

Better to be safe than sorry in my opinion.

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Colm

Personally i would not disable STP on a switch even if you think it is not needed. If you do not have any L2 loops then leaving STP on is not doing you any harm. And if someone accidentally connects something up that creates a L2 loop you still have STP to protect you.

Better to be safe than sorry in my opinion.

Jon

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There's some overhead involved running STP, but I agree with Jon, to prevent "accidents", good to keep it active even when you don't need it. NB: you might want to insure one of the "fast" STP variants is being used.

I doubt if it's even possible to turn off STP.

Eg. with a new switch from the box:

no spanning-tree mode pvst (the default)

It's still there in the config and in the show commands

I thought I tested this

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card