Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with WLC Internal DHCP and Clients jumping between SSIDs

ak7246
Level 1
Level 1

hello friends,

we have 2 4402 controllers with SSID1 (Enterprise) and SSID2 (Guest). SSID2 is configured for web auth without any secret key. I have 2 issues at this time.

1: users connected to SSID1 (enterprise) sometimes automatically just to Guest SSID2 and stay there until manually moved back.

2: For Guest SSID2 controllers are doing DHCP (scope split between controllers). I sometimes see an issue where users lose their IP address for about 60secs and so cannot access anything. it usually works again after about 60sec but then their VPN drop which is annoying.

Has anyone else seen this? is there any setting on WLCs that i can try to fix this?

thanks

Anand

2 Replies 2

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Anand,

1: Not sure the client you are using but you may want to make sure you have a SSID1 profile set up on all the clients. If the client moves from SSID1 to SSID2 its likely they are out of coverage or have an issue connecting to SSID1 and resort to SSID2. Check to see if the area where is this happening has an issue connecting to SSID1 as well.

2: How do you have your DHCP set up? Is the guest controllers in the same mobility group? Is each controller doing DHCP? Are the DHCP scopes in the same range?

If you have 2 controllers giving out DHCP it sounds to me that perhaps when the client roams from one controller to another its re-DHCPing, no?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

For #1 - Perhaps you should create the Guest wireless profile on all machines, and disable it.

Depending on the wireless client, "disabled" could mean a setting of "connect manually". If you are using the Wireless Zero Config client on Windows machines, you can push this out via GPO.

You should also ensure that the private profile has the highest priority of the wireless network profiles (this is another setting that you can control via GPO for machines using Wireless Zero Config).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: