Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC - Different IOS

sblavanya
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All

What would be the impact of having different IOS on the WLCs ? Is it only that when the AP's shift from one WLC to another, they would be re-imaged, and will be booted back ? are there any oter noted issues ? one wlc runs 5.1.163 and another 4.0.62...

4 Replies 4

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As you mentioned the image impact when the ap moves from one controller to another is one.

When you have mismatches like this and should you call TAC for any issues they will inform you to upgrade to a common level.

Ita hard to say exactly what you might see but you need to consider if you do. Assume for a moment you start to have issues with client association, roaming, mobility issues, etc ... You will have a hard time weeding out what is a code issue and what is not.

4.0 code is a few years old now, and there has been great improvements since then.

Is there a reason that requires you to have 2 versions ?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

There is basically no reason.. WLCs are on a migration phase and for a short period of time, the WLCs would have different Image.. 4.0 would be upgraded to 5.1.163 within 2-3 weeks, but i just wanted to be sure that it would work fine till the transition period..

You shoud be ok for that short period of time. If i were you i may move ~ say a group of APs on the first floor (for example) to the controller on 4.0 code.

If you pepper the APs between controller on different codes you may see some problems.

if you find this post helpful please rate it ... Thanks!

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Thanks.. I wouldnt manually move the APs to a particular controller due to administrative overheads in future.. Will leave it the same way till we upgrade.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card