cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Stupid question - If the lightweights lose connection to the controller

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

Will they still broadcast a SSID and function. My gut tells me no.

(specifically we are concerned about WAN sites loosing connectivity back to the data center and if the local wireless at the remote site will work)

4 Replies 4

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hello

lwaps tunnel traffic across the controller, and hence in a local mode, without the WLC, the LWAP wouldnt work.. thats probably why we need dual WLC's with failover configured.. mobility groups would help us achieve this.. Hence for local setup (such as LAN), you cannot have the LWAP broadcast SSID's if the WLC is down..

For remote sites, over the WAN, you can look at H-REAP... "H-REAPs can switch client data traffic locally and perform client authentication locally when the connection to the controller is lost. When connected to the controller, H-REAPs can also tunnel traffic back to the controller. (from CCO).."

Have a look at this doc:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00807cc3b8.shtml

Hope this helps.. rate replies if found useful..

Raj

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

nope. Once an AP loses connection it will go "offline" and not broadcast the SSID in local mode.

If you did H-REAP for local offices you can do local-switching mode which will allow for client to still gain access to the wireless should the AP lose controller connection.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Cool, thanks.

yeah I forgot about HREAP. Ive been spending too much time in the motorola world...

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

They're right. If H-REAP is configured, when the WLC goes off-line, the AP will continue to function and process as if the WLC is still present ... on the proviso that the AP'S do not get rebooted.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card