cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1310 Outdoor Bridge Multihop Setup?

trpatters
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to set up a bridge network that does not have direct line of site. I just want to verify that the configuration is nothing special. There is a building blocking a direct P2P connection so I need to add a bridge in the middle acting as what I would call a repeater. So what do I do to make this work. I know the one bridge is the root bridge but do I set the one in the middle as a non root and the last bridge as a non root? I can not find any documentation on the setup.

Thanks,

Troy Patterson

10 Replies 10

Roman Rodichev
Level 7
Level 7

You could setup the bridge in the middle as a root (multipoint) with an omni antenna, and then the other two as non-root with directional antennas. "Repeater" station role would not apply here, because the last AP needs to be connected to the Ethernet, and Repeaters have the Ethernet port disabled.

A little better way to do this would be to put two 1310's on the building in the middle.

Did you ever get this setup working? I am trying to do the same thing with 2 1310's in the middle and connected via a crossover cable. The native vlan passes without a problem, but I am having passing additional vlans.

do you have a similar config?

dot11 ssid bridge

vlan 1

authentication open

!

interface Dot11Radio0

no ip address

no ip route-cache

!

ssid bridge

!

channel 2412

station-role root bridge

bridge-group 1

!

interface Dot11Radio0.2

encapsulation dot1Q 2

no ip route-cache

bridge-group 2

!

interface Dot11Radio0.3

encapsulation dot1Q 3

no ip route-cache

bridge-group 3

!

interface FastEthernet0

no ip address

no ip route-cache

duplex auto

speed auto

bridge-group 1

!

interface FastEthernet0.2

encapsulation dot1Q 2

no ip route-cache

bridge-group 2

!

interface FastEthernet0.3

encapsulation dot1Q 3

no ip route-cache

bridge-group 3

provide your config of switch1, bridge1, bridge2, bridge3, bridge4, and switch2

I have attached a zip file with all 4 bridge configs and the 2 switch port interface configs. Any help would be appreciated. At fast glance my configs look just like the example you provided.

try the following:

1. Configure switch port with:

spanning-tree portfast trunk

2. Disable spanning-tree on bridges

no bridge 1 protocol ieee

no bridge 60 protocol ieee

no bridge 61 protocol ieee

no bridge 62 protocol ieee

no bridge 64 protocol ieee

no bridge 95 protocol ieee

no bridge 254 protocol ieee

no bridge 255 protocol ieee

3. Remove infrastructure-ssid from dot11 ssid

4. Reconfigure native vlan on bridges

no interface Dot11Radio0.63

!

interface Dot11Radio0

bridge-group 1

!

interface FastEthernet0

bridge-group 1

!

no interface FastEthernet0.63

clean up some of your bridge-groups, you have some bridge-groups not matching between bridges, I realize they are locally significant, but just make sure everything matches.

You should probably do this through console. let me know if it makes any difference, and post updated configs.

ignore part "4", leave as is

Should I remove the infrastructure-ssid on all the bridges or just the root bridges?

you can remove it from everywhere. That command is only needed when working with repeater or workgroup bridge modes, or when more than one SSID is involved. That command is not breaking your setup, the problem lies somewhere with bridging and STP. By the way, you should simplify this configuration down to two vlans (native + some other one) on your bridges. Make that work first, and then build additional vlans

I just wanted to let you know that I got it working. After you mentioned about the issue probably lies somewhere with the bridging or STP, I removed STP from every VLAN and recreated each bridge-group. I noticed while creating the bridge-groups the first time, that I had a typo on 2 of the VLAN subinterfaces on one of the bridges.

Everything is working now. Thanks again for your help.

Great to hear! You can rate the post if it helped :) thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: