Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA to Pix VPN question

jamesgonzo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a partial VPN setup between our HQ where our ASA is and a remote office where our Pix is. On the Pix ipsec SA I have said the local network is 172.19.9.0/24 and remote network is any. On the ASA I have put local network is any and remote as 172.19.9.0/24, will this mean all the remote sites traffic will go over the VPN to the HQ for resources and also use our Internet pipe?

1 Reply 1

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

James,

No - the above config would initiate a VPN tunnel to come up, but I am sure that all unknown internet traffic would still break out from the PIX. I presume you have a default route in the PIX that either point out of the outside interface or onto the next hop device from your provider.

The danger is if you change the default route to a internal HQ layer 3 routing device ot remote end ASA - you will loss the VPN connection, as the external IP of the HQ will be routeable over the VPN, but cannot establish!

In the past I have routed internet traffic over a VPN tunnel via a dynamic routing protocol and GRE tunnels, do you have this capability?

HTH>