Cisco 1711 for CCNA

Unanswered Question
May 12th, 2009

Hi,

I am new to this area, and I want to get CCNA certification.

Is it a good way to use Cisco 1711-vpn/k9 router for CCNA practice lab? Is this router comes with full commands of IOS software?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Richard Burts Wed, 05/13/2009 - 18:28

Don

The 1711 router has a regular FastEthernet port and a small Ethernet switch built in. So it would be fairly good for the LAN switching and LAN connectivity parts of the CCNA. As far as I can tell it supports the normal routing protocols. So if you had more than one of them you could set up and learn the dynamic routing parts of the CCNA.

Note that this router does not have any wireless capability and does not have any serial interfaces (other than its modem interface). So it would not be good for learning those parts of the CCNA materials.

HTH

Rick

pineforest84 Thu, 05/14/2009 - 09:55

Thanks for your advice, Rick.

Do you have recommendation for a CCNA practice lab in terms of hardwares?

BrinksArgentina Thu, 05/28/2009 - 07:52

I tried a lot of simulators and a real lab for my CCNA and finaly I do all my practices with Dynagen. It's not a sim, is an emulator, so if somthing does not work, is because you are wrong. Is a real IOS image, so everything is implemented.

A phisical lab may be ok to test performance or to understand how trunking works, but you can not change a patch from your house if the lab is in your work.

These are the reasons to use Dynagen 99% of the times.

In my Lenovo C2D 1.83 i can run 7 routers with BGP, EIGRP route-maps, etc with a CPU load under 30%

Guido.

Please rate all the helpful comments.

Actions

This Discussion