Views
Helpful
Replies

Assign two VLAN ID to a single Port of a Switch

renjith.rv
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have 3 VLANs in my network and i would like to expose two VLANs(VLAN 2 and 3) to outside and the third VLAN(VLAN 4) is for internal use only.

At the outside interface point, i plan to place a switch.

I need to configure the switch Port(to which i am connecting my network) to accept VLAN2 and VLAN3 and reject VLAN4 packets.

Does any Cisco switches provide such configuration support?

As per my understanding, one Port of a switch can be assigned with only one VLAN ID.

Please correct me if i am wrong.

thanks

renjith

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Renjith,

Glad to be of help. Please rate when applicable. Thanks.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Renjith,

Typically, you can only assign ONE VLAN per port with the exception of Voice VLAN.

However, if you want to push 2 VLAN's per port, configure the port to be trunk and allow the VLANs you want.

Hi leolaohoo,

Thank you very much for the prompt reply.

Let me know,Can i specifically configure the trunk Port to accept the VLANs which i need(say VLAN 2 and 3) and discard all other VLAN packets(say VLAN4 and 5)?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Renjith,

Sure you can. Go to the interface and configure "switchport trunk allowed vlan 2,3".

Only data from VLANs 2 & 3 will be accepted and discard the rest.

Hope this helps.

Hi leolaohoo,

Yes. This information is really valuable for me. thank you very much

Let me clarify one more thing, Can i configure any Port of the Switch as a trunk Port? (Say, '24 Port Switch' and i need to configure Port 8 and 16 a trunk ports)

Hi leolaohoo,

Let me clarify one more thing, Can i configure any Port of the Switch as a trunk Port? (Say, '24 Port Switch' and i need to configure Port 8 and 16 a trunk ports)

Hi:

You can configure any port on a switch as a trunk port. Typically, the trunk ports are reserved for those that have fiber interfaces, but not necessarily.

HTH

Victor

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Renjith,

Sure you can. Have a look at the link below. This will give you an example for Configuring VLAN and Configuring VLAN Trunks.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_25_sea/configuration/guide/swvlan.html

Hope this helps.

Hi leolaohoo,

I have gone through the link you provided.

Yes. This helps.

thank you.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Renjith,

Glad to be of help. Please rate when applicable. Thanks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: