Jon Marshall Wed, 05/13/2009 - 08:28
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

Mohamad

No, you can't use a 2960 switch to route between vlans. L3 capable switches are 3560 upwards. So in the sense of L3 routing the 2960 cannot do this.

It is called a multi-layer switch because it understands more than just layer 2. For example the 2960 understands DSCP markings which are a L3 marking.

Jon

lamav Wed, 05/13/2009 - 08:31
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

RU stands for rack-unit and it is an indication of the physical height of the device. It has nothing to do with its operational capability.

The Cisco 2960 switch does not perform inter-vlan routing. It is a L2 switch. I believe it does have L3 functionality, in that it can support IP header inspection to support QoS and ACLs.

HTH

Victor

lamav Wed, 05/13/2009 - 08:32
User Badges:

RU stands for rack-unit and it is an indication of the physical height of the device. It has nothing to do with its operational capability.

The Cisco 2960 switch does not perform inter-vlan routing. It is a L2 switch. I believe it does have L3 functionality, in that it can support IP header inspection to support QoS and ACLs.

HTH

Victor

User Badges:

HTH

Victor

Jon Marshall Wed, 05/13/2009 - 08:38
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

Okay we got you the first time :-)

Wouldn't be anything to do with the new editor would it ??

lamav Wed, 05/13/2009 - 08:42
User Badges:

LOL, yes, thats exactly it.

How are you, buddy?

Check it out, my new gig is going to involve building a WiMax POP and I have absolutely NO CLUE about what to do. lol

Do you have any good documentation on IP design mobility solutions?

I posted a thread on here but no one answered.

Was hoping one of the Cisco NCEs would at least point me in the right direction.

Jon Marshall Wed, 05/13/2009 - 09:00
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

Things are fine with me :)

WiMax POP eh. Well i will be of absolutely no use to you at all then. You may well want to introduce yourself to the Wireless forums - they won't know what's hit them :-)

As for design docs, have a look here, should get you started -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns820/networking_solutions_program_home.html

Jon

lamav Thu, 05/14/2009 - 10:14
User Badges:

Jon:

Thanks for that link. I think I may have seen it, actually.

You know, I discovered a book that, from the description, sounds like exactly what I need.

It's called "IP Design for Mobile Networks"

It isnt even in its final draft, yet, I think. If it is, it has been finalized within the last few weeks.

I think I'll get it.

By the way, are you aware of a service from Safari Books that allows you to read entire publications online for US $23 a month? Not bad at all.

Im reading one now on network virtualization..its quite exciting...almost as good as reading Hustler. lol

Jon Marshall Thu, 05/14/2009 - 10:17
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

posted twice

Jon Marshall Thu, 05/14/2009 - 10:17
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

"Im reading one now on network virtualization..its quite exciting...almost as good as reading Hustler. lol"

Okay, that did make me laugh :-). It's a slippery slope Victor, next thing you know you'll be waking up next to a 6500....

lamav Thu, 05/14/2009 - 10:30
User Badges:

Listen, if I go that route, it aint gonna be no low-end 6500...its gotta be at least a GSR..I have my freaking standards, man!

User Badges:

HTH

Victor

Actions

This Discussion