Helpful
Replies

catalyst2960

engmohamad1980
Level 1
Level 1

I Have catalyst 2960-24TC-L , when i read the datasheet see this word :

! RU fixed-confuration, <strong>multilayer switch</strong>

main ---.> can be routing betwwn vlan ??

12 Replies 12

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mohamad

No, you can't use a 2960 switch to route between vlans. L3 capable switches are 3560 upwards. So in the sense of L3 routing the 2960 cannot do this.

It is called a multi-layer switch because it understands more than just layer 2. For example the 2960 understands DSCP markings which are a L3 marking.

Jon

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

RU stands for rack-unit and it is an indication of the physical height of the device. It has nothing to do with its operational capability.

The Cisco 2960 switch does not perform inter-vlan routing. It is a L2 switch. I believe it does have L3 functionality, in that it can support IP header inspection to support QoS and ACLs.

HTH

Victor

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

RU stands for rack-unit and it is an indication of the physical height of the device. It has nothing to do with its operational capability.

The Cisco 2960 switch does not perform inter-vlan routing. It is a L2 switch. I believe it does have L3 functionality, in that it can support IP header inspection to support QoS and ACLs.

HTH

Victor

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

HTH

Victor

Okay we got you the first time :-)

Wouldn't be anything to do with the new editor would it ??

LOL, yes, thats exactly it.

How are you, buddy?

Check it out, my new gig is going to involve building a WiMax POP and I have absolutely NO CLUE about what to do. lol

Do you have any good documentation on IP design mobility solutions?

I posted a thread on here but no one answered.

Was hoping one of the Cisco NCEs would at least point me in the right direction.

Things are fine with me :)

WiMax POP eh. Well i will be of absolutely no use to you at all then. You may well want to introduce yourself to the Wireless forums - they won't know what's hit them :-)

As for design docs, have a look here, should get you started -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns820/networking_solutions_program_home.html

Jon

Jon:

Thanks for that link. I think I may have seen it, actually.

You know, I discovered a book that, from the description, sounds like exactly what I need.

It's called "IP Design for Mobile Networks"

It isnt even in its final draft, yet, I think. If it is, it has been finalized within the last few weeks.

I think I'll get it.

By the way, are you aware of a service from Safari Books that allows you to read entire publications online for US $23 a month? Not bad at all.

Im reading one now on network virtualization..its quite exciting...almost as good as reading Hustler. lol

posted twice

"Im reading one now on network virtualization..its quite exciting...almost as good as reading Hustler. lol"

Okay, that did make me laugh :-). It's a slippery slope Victor, next thing you know you'll be waking up next to a 6500....

Listen, if I go that route, it aint gonna be no low-end 6500...its gotta be at least a GSR..I have my freaking standards, man!

lamav
Level 8
Level 8

HTH

Victor

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card