cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WiSM rebooting randomly

Victor Fabian
Level 1
Level 1

I have 3 WiSMs two of them (WiSM-a and WiSM-b) are seated on the CORE1 switch (6509) and the WiSM-c is seated on CORE2 also a 6509 .

One of the controllers from WiSM-a/b keeps rebooting let's called it Con-1a and Con-2b reboots but usually more than the other one the controllers (WiSM located on CORE2 never reboot .

Both COREs have the same software code. The WiSM have been online for about a year with 4.2.99.0 version and they never rebooted until 3 months from now so a Cisco Tech suggested upgrading to 4.2.176.0 but it keeps doing it .

""IOS (tm) s72033_rp Software (s72033_rp-IPSERVICESK9_WAN-M), Version 12.2(18)SXF9, REL"

Thank you

Vic

23 Replies 23

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

check the crash logs on the controller ... do these show anything?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

It doesn't show anything , somebody suggested removing the service vlan from all the trunks but that didn't help .

Could SSH cause problems on the Wireless controllers ??

Does anybody knows what debug i can use to troubleshoot what the controllers does while i am login through SSH ?

Hate to say it, but debugs are really Cisco TAC's specialty. Not a lot of forum users really know detailed debugs like what you're looking for.

What you have may well be a hardware issue that requires a replacement. I'd open a TAC case and see where it goes.

Sorry for not being able to help :/

b.smeets
Level 1
Level 1

We experienced exactly the same problem for months, driving us and Cisco crazy. The cause is an as yet unsolved ssh bug in all codes up to and including at least 4.2.176.0. Cisco told us we were almost the only user in the world having this problem, so I'm "glad" here's another victim. Try this workaround: enable an ACL in the controllers, blocking all ssh traffic (TCP port 22) from 'any' to the controller's interface in all VLANs associated to wireless clients.

But did that completely resolve the issue???

Because this is driving me nuts

Well, the controllers have never crashed since then, so for me it's over. But Cisco never told us if they resolved the bug yet.

How was this workaround discovered? It sounds like this bug could be a huge security issue! Have you tested whether or not ssh traffic from a wlan to the controller has an impact?

It took Cisco's TAC people months of studying several crash files and reproducing our configuration in their labs, and only the fifth (or so) patch at last worked. And speaking of security, we noticed many many ssh connections from the wired Internet to this controller port which apparently slipped through the firewall - you might call it a continuous DoS attack that every few weeks succeeds. So, a hole in our firewall revealed an obscure ssh bug in the controllers. Ssh connections from the WLAN did not seem to have any impact.

What is the purpose of TCP port 22 ?

Logging in to the controller's console using ssh (instead of telnet) for management purposes. Usually you use http or manage controllers via the WCS, but some management commands can only be issued from the console. But then you connect to the controller's management IP address, never to its WLAN interface address, so shutting off this WLAN interface for ssh is shutting off something you don't need.

Can you please provide me the command that you use to implement it ?

thank you

Vic

We've done it from the WCS. Here are the relevant screenshots. For 'IP address' you should fill in the controller's address in the wireless clients' subnet, not the management subnet.

What do you mean by this ?

For 'IP address' you should fill in the controller's address in the wireless clients' subnet .

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card