Views
Helpful
Replies

restricting the physical size of wifi network

eoulianov
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm planning to cover the 80x80m building by the amount of 1131AG APs and WLC4402 controller. But the strong client's demand is to physically restrict any posibilities of wifi connections from the long distances (100m and more from building).

Is there a feature in Cisco wifi to drop any incoming connections in case if client is 100+m from AP? (I mean that client's power is high enough for this)

What are the regular methods of resricting the physical size of wifi networks?

Thanks.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Someone could be more than 100m away using a parabolic grid antenna, and their signal strength may not look any different from your regular users.

You could try using the locate appliance, but I think even that could go a little goofy if someone tries to spoof a MAC address.

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

One method of restricting the size of a wifi network's footprint would be to conduct a Wireless Site Survey. You can minimize the leaking of the wireless network outside of the premises/property.

You can also have a play with the Radio Resource Management to scale down the signal strengths of the AP.

For Security, disable SSID broadcast and use WPA/WPA2 and AES/TKIP.

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

This is exactly the case for knowing and understanding antenna types and patterns (i.e., what those goofy circle charts mean).

By using an antenna's pattern, coupled with power management, you can easily limit the radiation and external exposure of the signal.

You don't have to know every single antenna, but just be familiar with the general types, and how to interpret the charts.

Here's a pretty decent explanation on Cisco's main site:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps7183/ps469/prod_white_paper0900aecd806a1a3e.html

Good Luck

Scott

6 Replies 6

Someone could be more than 100m away using a parabolic grid antenna, and their signal strength may not look any different from your regular users.

You could try using the locate appliance, but I think even that could go a little goofy if someone tries to spoof a MAC address.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

One method of restricting the size of a wifi network's footprint would be to conduct a Wireless Site Survey. You can minimize the leaking of the wireless network outside of the premises/property.

You can also have a play with the Radio Resource Management to scale down the signal strengths of the AP.

For Security, disable SSID broadcast and use WPA/WPA2 and AES/TKIP.

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

This is exactly the case for knowing and understanding antenna types and patterns (i.e., what those goofy circle charts mean).

By using an antenna's pattern, coupled with power management, you can easily limit the radiation and external exposure of the signal.

You don't have to know every single antenna, but just be familiar with the general types, and how to interpret the charts.

Here's a pretty decent explanation on Cisco's main site:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps7183/ps469/prod_white_paper0900aecd806a1a3e.html

Good Luck

Scott

Thanks a lot!

I second that - thanks for the rating!

Just be aware (or make your customer aware) that even with doing your best to restrict the coverage areas, someone with specialized antennas will still likely be able to pick up signals and capture data over the air. Strong encryption of wireless data is a must.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thanks for the rating.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: