Replies

ip communicator 2.1 outbound audio issues for external calls only

rogierboeken
Level 1
Level 1

hi

i have a cisco ip communicator version 2.1 on my laptop,

this is working with a cucm 6.1 setup

when making internal calls i can hear the other party and the other party can hear me. all is well

but i have 2 issues

1) when making outbound calls i get a quick tone and cannot connect the call, the call manager gives me this error

Number of RouteListExhausted events exceeds 0 within 60 minutes. The alert is generated on Thu May 14 10:41:07 BST 2009 on cluster STJ.

2) when external numbers call my number (i cannot make outbound calls see issue 1) I can hear them but they cannot hear me.

when running the audio tunning wizzard all works well, i have also tried external microphones and different users, computers etc but it makes no difference

my guess is that it is something on the CUCM cluster but i do not know what.

any help would be appreciated to get this resolved, if any further information is required please let me know

cheers

6 Replies 6

nesharm2
Level 1
Level 1

Make sure that in CM under the device settings you have the IP Autoaddress Location populated with this address:

http://"CM PUB IP ADDRESS"/communicatorloads/communicator/getIP.asp.

This should point the audio stream to the correct location to allow two-way voice.

Do you have a checkpoint firewall in the network ? You might wanna try a difrent version of IPC

The RouteListExhausted messages indicate that CallManager was unable to send a call to the Route Groups in a Route List.

This is usually as a result of no B channels or ports being available on a gateway for routing a call.

Note that only one gateway should usually be configured per Route Group.

ok thanks,

i checked CM and there was nothing listed. i have entered it but it makes no difference.

am not using checkpoint firewall, in fact i believe the firewall (sonicwall) does not come into play as i am on the LAN and communicate direct with other LAN devices.

outbound calls go out over PSTN.

internal calls between the ip communicator 2.1 client and the cisco phones works fine (audio both ways) it is just external calls that causes the issue but my 2.1 client is still on the LAN.

cheers

Check the ip that you get for ur ip communicator and check the ip that you get for a physical phone... are they in same subnet ?

If possible can you download a diffrent lower version of IPC say 2.0.1 and see if you get the same issue(I know its weird ) but worth a try

Also do you have regions configured to use diffrent codecs I mean on CUCM go to

System-->Region

so that we can rule out any codec issues

also as a tip if you don't see any one way audio issues with internal calls (within lan ) then yes firewall and gateways come into picture. So you might want to check.

Also when you are connected on a external call press the "?" button twice on cisco ip phone and see if RX and TX count is increasing. RX i guess refer to recive packets and TX to transmit.

If you don't see RX count increasing ..that means you are not getting rtp packets. which are blocked somewhere

finally figured this out

basically when i have the ip communicator running with video advantage i can only make internal calls and when i turn of the video unified advantage component i can make out bound calls again

this kind of makes sense as we only have video calls configured internally.

i do however have 1 slight problem still, when i call a 3rd party and disconnect the call the other party does not hear that i have disconnected and if the other party disconnects first my line remains connected

so it seems that disconnecting a call needs to happen on both ends otherwise the call remains up.

this is a minor but annoying issue as people will not know if the call got disconnected or not and in case of a network problem they will not find out immediately but only after saying are you there a thousand times and then disconnecting.

finally figured this out

basically when i have the ip communicator running with video advantage i can only make internal calls and when i turn of the video unified advantage component i can make out bound calls again

this kind of makes sense as we only have video calls configured internally.

i do however have 1 slight problem still, when i call a 3rd party and disconnect the call the other party does not hear that i have disconnected and if the other party disconnects first my line remains connected

so it seems that disconnecting a call needs to happen on both ends otherwise the call remains up.

this is a minor but annoying issue as people will not know if the call got disconnected or not and in case of a network problem they will not find out immediately but only after saying are you there a thousand times and then disconnecting.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: