cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Discerning what goes in DMZ

oneirishpollack
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to convince my comrades that we should put anything that provides a service to outside users or anything with an open port accessible to the outside, to be put in our DMZ instead of on the 'Inside' interface of the firewall.

Is there a standard rule about determining what devices should go into a DMZ vs. Inside network?

I mean if it has a NAT'd address from the outside to the inside, does it make sense to dump it into the DMZ?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sorry, should have been more specific.

If the device is open for connections from the Internet, especially if the source IP's from the Internet cannot be locked down then they should be on a DMZ.

The thinking behind this is that there are always bugs in software. If an attacker gained access to the server then if it was on your inside network he then has free access to your entire network whereas if it is on a DMZ he has limited access, if any.

It should be noted that firewalling is only one part of the overall solution - IDS/IPS plays a large part too, together with more traditional things such as logging etc.

Jon

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Richard

If connections to the server/device can be made from the Internet then that server/device should be firewalled.

Jon

When you say 'firewalled', the devices exist behind the firewall, but they exist on the 'inside' network, not in the DMZ. Do I have an argument that anything that can be connected to from the Internet (via smtp, http, https, etc) should be in the DMZ versus the 'inside'?

Thanks.

Sorry, should have been more specific.

If the device is open for connections from the Internet, especially if the source IP's from the Internet cannot be locked down then they should be on a DMZ.

The thinking behind this is that there are always bugs in software. If an attacker gained access to the server then if it was on your inside network he then has free access to your entire network whereas if it is on a DMZ he has limited access, if any.

It should be noted that firewalling is only one part of the overall solution - IDS/IPS plays a large part too, together with more traditional things such as logging etc.

Jon

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for your help.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card