Views
Helpful
Replies

PS3 --> 2950 --> Router (issues)

jasonkirsten
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks.

Currently i am trying to connect my ps3 up to my cisco 2950 switch, which then connects into my Dlink 504t router.

Now the issue i have is this, when i connect via the switch(2950) and to the router my PS3 fails to obtain an IP address.

If i plug the PS3 direct into the router , it obtains an IP with ease.

Now on my switch i have tried numerous ports and they all have the same issue.

I have configured my switch to use a default gateway of 10.1.1.1 , which is the IP of my 504t router, which is also handling the Dhcp.

Is there something i am doing wrong here?

I thought it be helpfull to add that i have tested with my laptop and it obtains an ip perfectly fine connecting through the exact same setup.

3 Replies 3

Not applicable

As you can able to ping the default gateway you can able to reach the router from ps3. If you were not able to ping the default gateway then, it could be a couple of things - ICMP is disabled on the device or there is a physical connection problem. Another thing it could be is maybe there is a mismatch with IP addresses on the router and your device

extraco
Level 1
Level 1

Make sure you have spanning-tree portfast enabled to speed up the process of the port forwarding packets.

halim.abouzeid
Level 1
Level 1

it can be many things depending on the switch configuration...

could be that the router and the ps3 are connected to switchports with different vlans.

if you assign an IP statically to the PS3, can you ping the router? if yes, then in worse cases, you can simply run a dhcp server on the switch instead of the router.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: