Views
Helpful
Replies

Change Totally Stub to NSSA no-summary in Routed Access Layer Design

lomonaco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I'm using the document High Availability Campus Network Design Routed Access Layer using EIGRP or OSPF

to design my network...

Here the link...

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/netsol/ns432/c649/ccmigration_09186a00805fccbf.pdf

Anybody see problems if I change the Totally Stub Areas to NSSA Areas to permite redistribute external OSPF networks in the NSSA Areas in the future..

Basically, I wanna change

area XXX stub no-summary

to

area XXX nssa no-redistribution no-summary

I think both are in the best practices, I just wanna confirm that...

Thanks in Advanced

My Best Regards,

Andre Lomonaco

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Andre,

you should be fine.

My only doubt is that you may need also

area XXX nssa default-information-

originate

(Optional) Used to generate a Type 7 default into the NSSA area. This keyword takes effect only on the NSSA ABR or the NSSA Autonomous System Boundary Router (ASBR).

on the NSSA ABR(s) to have a default route pointing to core.

I mean ABR generates an 0 IA 0.0.0.0/0 for a stub area automatically for an NSSA you may need to add this option.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/iproute/command/reference/irp_osp1.html#wp1011294

Hope to help

Giuseppe

I agree with Guiseppe that you should be fine. He is using the Totally NSSA so a default route will be generated automatically. The "area XXX nssa default-information-originate" is only used for NSSA as noted by Guiseppe. I would also note that you will not see any redistributed routes in your Totally NSSA with the "no-redistribution" only command Type 7 LSA's will be seen along with the default route will only be seen in your area.

HTH

Jonathan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card