Getting started with the right classes (CCENT?)

Unanswered Question
May 15th, 2009
User Badges:

I have spent time browsing the website and can't seem to find clear answers to which classes to take first. From reading around, it seems a CCENT would be a good place to start. I live in the Houston, Texas area

the actual ICND1 Exam page recommends "Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices Part 1" as training. In my city, Fast Lane is offering this course, at a steep price of $2,995. Seems awfully high, so I'm not sure if I'm signing up for the right course.

When I use the academy locater in my area, I find a few locations offering CCNA Discovery and CCNA Exploration classes, and after reading up on these two, they claim to offer enough material to take the CCENT and CCNA exams after taking all 4 parts. The only problem is that the classes listed by the academy locater are all outdated and started long ago. Has this page not been updated? And if these courses claim to train for the CCENT and CCNA exams, why is only ICND listed on the exam page? which one should I take?

I am hoping to take a class over this summer, but I'm still confused on where to start. CCNA Discovery/Exploration or the actual ICND1 course, and if a Discovery/Exploration course is adequate, are the class listings out of date?

Overall Rating: 1 (1 ratings)

I am a graduate of the CCNA and CCNP Networking Academy courses at my local technical college. I have also taken classes at Skyline-ATS, one of Cisco's authorized training partners (it was expensive).

I think that the Academy courses would be the best if you are completely new to Cisco technologies. The advantage is that the class is spread out over time, which helps your ability to ask questions and absorb the material.

Classes at training providers tend to be short duration. They typically are 5 days, which really means...

1/2 day for introductions and other junk

1/2 day for slides

3 days of slides and labs

1/2 day of labs (since classes let out after lunch typically)

So really its 4 days. My experience is that the slide decks provided from Cisco have ERRORS. Some of the errors were on basic terminology. This class is heavily dependent on the teacher and their style. After taking a few of these classes, they are probably good to use as a review class. Then if you have specific questions about something you have an expert to answer them.

XG08Zero0 Fri, 05/15/2009 - 11:45
User Badges:

ah ok, so CCNA Discovery/Exploration are a bit more in-depth over time and the ICND class is a short term duration

I'm guessing this is why the training cost is in the $2,995 price range?

It definitely seems like an academy course would be better to absorb material being completely new, but another concern is whether the academy class listings on the website are constantly updated? All the classes listed in my areas are ones that started back in march and long past.

ah ok, so CCNA Discovery/Exploration are a bit more in-depth over time and the ICND class is a short term duration

I'm not sure on this. You would have to check the training provider.

As far as the academy classes, I would find the academy provider and contact them directly. If it is a local college, I would get a copy of their latest course listing to see when its offered.

Actions

This Discussion