Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1 IPS between 2 Firewalls and 2 DMZ Switches

Dear All,

I connected one IPS (4240) inline between 2 Firewalls and 2 DMZ switches as following;

FW1 e1---IPS 0/1, FW2 e1---IPS 0/3,

DMZ1 Switch1 fa0/1---IPS 0/0, DMZ2 Switch2 fa0/1---IPS 0/2.

I made 2 Pairs;

PAIR 1: Gig 0/0,0/1, PAIR 2: Gig 0/2,0/3.

I assigned both Pairs to VS0.

On the Switches i configured the Interfaces Fa0/1 as trunk. But at the Firewall end i havnt' change the existing configuration.

The configuration seems to be correct, but still i can't access dmz services from user. Also from the FW can't ping DMZ and DMZ can't ping FW.

IPS CANNOT PING FW AS WELL AS DMZ SWITCH.

I even unchecked all the actions that may drop the Packets..

The firewall is old Pix 525 (not sure exactly), so does the type of cable b/w FW and IPS matter as well?

Kindly suggest. I need to provide solution soon...

2 Replies 2

rhermes
Level 7
Level 7

I hope these are not reduntant firewalls, otherwise you've added a single point of failure to your network.

I think your problem is that you made your switch interfaces a trunk, but no other interfaces on the IPS or Firewall are set to trunk.

The physical in-line pair you created will pass VLAN tags intact. but if your firewall isn;t configured to trunk, you're sunk.

Firewalls are redundant and this is the only availible option with me to have single point of failure.

Kindly tell me the solution. The scenario is that i have to connect this IPS (4240) between 2 firewalls and 2 DMZ switches.

Should i configure the interfaces on DMZ switches as access port or trunk ports.

Also the Firewalls are old firewalls, do i need to connect them to the IPS through cross-over cable.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card