Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CIPC vs. CUPC

If anyone has a link to something that compares the softphone CUPC capabilities to CIPC it would be appreciated. I have a customer interested in deploying CUPC to Mac clients and CIPC to PC clients, but is concerned about feature disparity for Mac users. Off the top of my head I can think of CUPC not having a true corporate directory, can't forward (without using the CCMUser web page), etc.. but I'm looking for a comprehensive list.

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

Ayodeji Okanlawon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

CIPC and CUPC are two very different products.

CIPC...Is a typical soft phone. Its the IP communicator. It gives basic phone functionalities. It connects to the corporate directory through CCM database. ie, if you are using the Integrated LDAP directory or external LDAP directory.

CUPC, however is not just a soft phone. CUPC has the capabilities to operate either as a soft phone or emulate your desk phone. CUPC combines with CUPS to provoide a robust and rich presence solution for end users. With CUPC, you can see the presence status of users while on the phone, away etc. It also provides IM functionalities leveraging on CUPS presence engine.

CUPC can connect to the corporate directory, however it has to be via external LDAP integration eg AD.

CUPC can integrate with applications such a Meeting Place, Video to provide both voice and video web conferencing solutions.

NB: CUPC cannot function like CIPC with Callmanager only. CUPC needs CUPS server for it to function, so its not just a soft phone, its much more and pwerful!

HTH, pls rate useful posts

Please rate all useful posts

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I should have mentioned that I was aware of the Presence capabilities of the CUPC clients. I am specifically interested in the difference in "softphone" capabilities between CIPC and CUPC. CUPC seems to have a very lean set of features, whereas CIPC has the full set of core calling features, with the ability to add additional features via softkeys, etc.

For example, how do you forward a CUPC client to a number other than voicemail? To my knowledge it is only via the CCMUser pages. I'm also looking for a comparison of transfer, hold, conference, multiple lines, etc. Some are obvious, but I'm looking to give a comprehensive list to a customer.

Thanks in advance.

For whatever reason, Cisco has no plan to build a full featured soft phone (like CIPC) on Mac OS.

The soft phone on CUPC has limited features. (e.g. cannot set call forwarding, cannot access phone directory, etc.)

The next generation of soft phone would be based on CSF (Client Service Framework). Hopefully we'll see a full-featured soft phone on Mac OS soon.

Michael

http://htluo.blogspot.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: