Views
Helpful
Replies

Dot1Q Tunneling for Etherchannels

davidsudjiman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm reading about Dot1Q Tunneling on Cisco Doco (http://cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750e_3560e/software/release/12.2_50_se/configuration/guide/swtunnel.html#wp1018452). One thing that I cannot find explanation, why on the SP sides we need to create several access vlans? Can we just create one access vlan and create an etherchannel for it?

Regards,

David Sudjiman

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello David,

802.1Q tunneling works well to emulate a point to point link between customer switches ports.

In order for the L2 SP to support a customer side etherchannel one customer vlan for each member link is needed.

In other words you cannot combine etherchannel and 802.1Q tunneling on the service provider switch ports.

Using a single customer vlan would cause frames from link #1 to arrive on link#2 causing a terrible mess and also there is potential for broadcast storms.

By using different customer vlans all ambiguities are eliminated ad frames from link1 are sent only to link1 on the other site.

So etherchannels are supported as a set of point-to-point links.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello David,

802.1Q tunneling works well to emulate a point to point link between customer switches ports.

In order for the L2 SP to support a customer side etherchannel one customer vlan for each member link is needed.

In other words you cannot combine etherchannel and 802.1Q tunneling on the service provider switch ports.

Using a single customer vlan would cause frames from link #1 to arrive on link#2 causing a terrible mess and also there is potential for broadcast storms.

By using different customer vlans all ambiguities are eliminated ad frames from link1 are sent only to link1 on the other site.

So etherchannels are supported as a set of point-to-point links.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Giuseppe,

This has been one of the best answer I got!

Thank you very much!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card