Views
Helpful
Replies

IP SLA Monitoring Notification

hclisschennai
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everybody,

I have configured IP SLA monitoring to probe the reachability of the peer and it is working perfectly. I have 2 ISPs configured in the same 1841 Router

But when ever there is a change, that is when the remote peer is unreachable the trafic is shifted to ISP2. I like to get notified on this change either thru syslogs or Email that ISP1 is down. Because I am unaware that the link is down and i want to take proactive step to restore the link immediately.

Please kindly help me to understand What is the solution to notify the change i explained above using Syslog or Email

Thanks in advance

RBK

5 Replies 5

Laurent Aubert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi RBK,

If you have a NMS, you could activate IP SLA traps (requires CISCO-RTTMON-MIB and snmp-server enable rtr command) and you should receive a notification each time the connection state change.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/configfun/command/reference/cfr_1g11.html#wp1030713

EEM could also be a solution :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/iosswrel/ps6537/ps6555/ps6815/config_guide_eem_configuration_for_cisco_integrated_services_router_platforms.html

HTH

Laurent.

Hi Laurent,

Thanks for your reply. The links are very useful.

But i donot have NMS in my setup. Any workaround is there to achieve this

RBK

Ok so you should give a try to EEM then.

Laurent.

As was stated, EEM can do exactly what you need. Depending on the version of IOS, you can use Object Tracking to tie EEM into your IP SLA collector, or you can use syslog or a timer policy. If you post your IOS version, I can provide a sample policy which should do what you want.

Hello,

I am trying to deploy a similar solution for one of our customers. Can you please please post the sample configuration for IOS 12.4. (Ihaven't decided on the version yet, they have purchased advanced services)

Thanks in advance

Shine

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: