cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Device Access through Access Server

walshcisco12
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, It's bit silly question but I have to ask. I am using cisco-access server to connect various network equipments. So I need to know while using ssh client how I can open separate window for my each device-session connected to access server?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Steve

The details of how to do this will depend somewhat on how your access server is configured and somewhat on what capabilities your ssh client offers. Essentially what you want to do is to open multiple windows in your ssh client (or multiple instances of the ssh client if the client does not support multiple windows). For example I typically use SecureCRT as my ssh client and it happily allows me to open as many windows as I want.

Each time you open a new window in the ssh client you want to connect to the access server and open a connection to another network device. One limitation here may be how many sessions the access server allows you to establish. If your access server is a Cisco IOS router then the limitation is probably how many vty ports are configured. By default Cisco IOS routers support at least 5 vty ports and most can be configured for more. There may also be a limitation on how many sessions depending on how you authenticate your login. If you are using an authentication server (such as ACS) then there may be a limitation on how many simultaneous sessions it will allow.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Steve

The details of how to do this will depend somewhat on how your access server is configured and somewhat on what capabilities your ssh client offers. Essentially what you want to do is to open multiple windows in your ssh client (or multiple instances of the ssh client if the client does not support multiple windows). For example I typically use SecureCRT as my ssh client and it happily allows me to open as many windows as I want.

Each time you open a new window in the ssh client you want to connect to the access server and open a connection to another network device. One limitation here may be how many sessions the access server allows you to establish. If your access server is a Cisco IOS router then the limitation is probably how many vty ports are configured. By default Cisco IOS routers support at least 5 vty ports and most can be configured for more. There may also be a limitation on how many sessions depending on how you authenticate your login. If you are using an authentication server (such as ACS) then there may be a limitation on how many simultaneous sessions it will allow.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Steve

I am glad that my suggestions were helpful in resolving your question. Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your question was resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read a question and can know that there was a response which was helpful in resolving the question.

The forum is an excellent place to learn about Cisco networking. I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco