cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4 VLAN enable for Cisco 1100

playstation3
Level 1
Level 1

My computer can get DHCP from 1 VLAN but didnt get it from 2 to 4 VLAN. I need it set VLAN 2-4 bridged with same DHCP. VLAN 1 for client device. VLAN 2 for Gaming device. VLAN 3 for WiFi Printer. Anyone know?

12 Replies 12

jeff.kish
Level 7
Level 7

You'll need to configure your switch's VLAN interfaces with the "ip helper-address x.x.x.x", where x.x.x.x is your DHCP server's IP address.

If you still need assistance, please post your AP and switch configurations here. We'll help as best we can.

For the record, I'm more of a Wii/360 guy myself :D

Jeff

I don't have a Cisco Switch. I only have a Netgear unmanaged Switch. What kind Cisco Switch I need?

My AP config is in attach.

Thanks.

The AP is only configured for a single SSID/VLAN. Are you looking for help to configure the other three VLANs, or are you only going to use the one? You can only have one VLAN per SSID, so if you want 4 VLANs, you're going to need 4 SSIDs.

Since your Netgear switch isn't capable of using VLANs, you're going to be stuck with a single VLAN for all wireless clients. If you want to use multiple VLANs, you'll need to get a switch capable of trunking to the AP.

If you can, give me an idea of your network topology and we can go from there. Do you have multiple VLANs on your network already?

Jeff

Yes. I'm still stuck on single VLAN. But my Linksys WRT310N with DD-WRT, it have multiple SSID on and same VLAN. Its worked but Cisco doesnt work. I have no idea why....

I mean, DD-WRT have lot feature. I can use multiply SSID through VWLAN. Ask Cisco if Cisco can add VWLAN in new firmware.

Trying solve but still stuck....

So you want your clients to exist on the same subnet, but associate via different SSIDs? Is that what you're trying to do?

Yes. Same subnet and same DHCP from Router to different SSID on the AP.

To my knowledge, there's no way to do this on an Autonomous Cisco AP. Is there a reason why you want to do it that way? You can use multiple security types on a single SSID if that's the problem. You should just be able to configure all your devices to use the same SSID.

Normally, the reason to use separate SSIDs is when you have multiple subnets. If you only have one subnet, only one SSID should be needed.

Jeff

Oh ok. Thanks. I'm using single SSID with multiple SSID. It worked for me.

Actually, there is a way to use multiple SSIDs on a single radio and use a single Ethernet VLAN on an autonomous AP. Create separate SSIDs with different VLANs associated (can be bogus VLANs for this). Associate the SSIDs with the radio. Create a subinterface for each SSID, using the associated VLAN. However, put each subinterface in bridge-group 1. This will, in effect, create a single bridged entity. I just tried it using my own 1131 AP. I have a single connection to a non-Cisco firewall, with a single DHCP pool. Worked like a champ.

I've never actually tried that before, that's great info! Thanks for sharing, J.

Jeff

I didn't know until I tried it on my AP :) Figured it was worth a shot.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card