cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RME INVENTORY_CHANGE

BlueyVIII
Level 1
Level 1

RME is showing many (if not all) of my 3750's as having "INVENTORY_CHANGE" each day.

I'm preey confident that these switches haven't changed so am wondering what type of changes RME is recording.

When I look at the reports they seem to be showing interface additions and deletions for almost every interface?

Any ideas?

11 Replies 11

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It could be that the ifLastChange is what you see changing. In general, there are a lot of inventory attributes which are monitored by default, and many of them are uninteresting to most users. I recommend you go to RME > Admin > Inventory > Inventory Change Filter, and check the boxes for attributes you do not care about. Specifically, things like Last Change under Interface, Free/Used/Largest Free under Memory, etc. are things which change all the time, but are not necessarily interesting in terms of asset/inventory tracking.

Thanks...I turned off all options in the "interface" and "port interface" sections but it doesn't seem to have made much difference.

I've attached a screen shot showing an example output from the INVENTORY_CHANGE report. This is just an extract and the same id repeated fro every interface on every 3750 switch. The report says that the ports have been deleted but I'm pretty sure this isn't the case as no work would have been done on these switches due to it being the weekend. We also get the same report each day of the week. The uptime on this particular switch was 18 weeks!

Any idea's??

This behavior was brought up during the LMS 3.2 beta, and is being fixed for the release. LMS 3.2 is due out early this summer.

Thanks...is there a workaround? I'm using LMS 3.1.

You can enable an inventory change filter for Port Model Name, Port Vendor Type, and Description.

Thanks....have set-up the filter.

Will let you know the outcome.

Configured the filter as you described, however, still getting the inventory change reports (see attached).

Is this also part of the bug you mention above or something I need to worry about (I'm pretty sure all the 3750's & 3550's reporting this changed have NOT changed!).

If it's just part of the bug I add PortSerialNumber to the filter.

Thanks.

Configured the filter as you described, however, still getting the inventory change reports (see attached).

Is this also part of the bug you mention above or something I need to worry about (I'm pretty sure all the 3750's & 3550's reporting this changed have NOT changed!).

If it's just part of the bug I'll add PortSerialNumber to the filter.

Thanks.

Yes. Right now, it's safe just to leave the port serial number enabled. In the future, we will start reporting on this value.

a short add-on question to this type of report...

why is the ifIndex used by this kind of reports instead of a more meaningful value like the alias or description. With this kind of reporting the report is useless if you have it alone - you always need some kind of mapping.

I imagine this is simply a product of how the data is indexed internally (by physical ID). Yes, a different indexing scheme would be more helpful. I'm not sure if this issue has been raised before, though.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: