cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RME and vlan.dat retrieval

eidumsigfrid
Level 1
Level 1

Can RME retrieve the vlan.dat file using something other than TFTP? Will SCP or RCP work?

The reason I ask is that we communicate through a third party controlled firewall that won't allow TFTP.

Cheers

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The user guide is correct. RME will telnet or SSH to the device to issue the copy command. However, the actually copy of the file is always done using TFTP.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I believe that RME uses telnet or ssh according to which you have configured in Common Services. This is according to the RME User Guide Chapter 8 which states, in part: "The configuration archive uses Telnet/SSH to gather the module configurations of Catalyst 5000 family devices and vlan.dat file in case of Catalyst IOS switches"

To specify your preferred transport protocol, go to Common Services > Device and Credentials > Device Management and add the protocols such as ssh that you wish to use. Make sure that your device(s) are configured to use the alternative protocol.

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Currently, there is no way to use a protocol other than TFTP to fetch the vlan.dat. However, I have just filed an enhancement request to add both SCP and RCP support, and work is already underway to implement that for the release following LMS 3.2. The bug is CSCsz66704.

Joe,

So the User Guide as currently written is incorrect?

The user guide is correct. RME will telnet or SSH to the device to issue the copy command. However, the actually copy of the file is always done using TFTP.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: