Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Ip Phone 7940

BSA-Cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a Bunch of Cisco Ip Phone 7940 models that are setup to use call manager. I have setup an FTP server and downloaded the latest SIP Images. I can see the log file on the tftp server that verifies the phone has connected, and even downloaded the files. However it doees not upgrade. I have done factory reset and nothing. It just sits at configuring IP and does nothing. Can anyone help me figure out why these phones will not upgrade. I am trying to upgrade them to SIP.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

smalkeric
Level 6
Level 6

1. The stored image is loaded.

The Cisco SIP IP phone has non-volatile Flash memory in which it stores the firmware images, user-defined preferences, and permanent factory information about the phone.

During initialization, the phone runs a bootstrap loader that loads and executes the phone image stored in Flash memory.

2. The VLAN is configured.

If the Cisco SIP IP phone is connected to a Catalyst switch, the switch notifies the phone of the voice VLAN defined on the switch. The phone needs to know its VLAN membership before it can proceed with the DHCP request for its IP settings (if using DHCP).

3. An IP address is acquired.

If the Cisco SIP IP phone is using DHCP to obtain the IP settings, the phone queries the DHCP server. If the phone is not using DHCP, then the phone will use IP settings that are stored in Flash memory.

4. The TFTP server is contacted.

On the TFTP server is the latest Cisco SIP IP phone firmware image and the dual boot file (OS79XX.TXT) that enables the phone to automatically determine and initialize for the VoIP environment in which it is being installed.

If the phone is using the TFTP server to obtain its SIP parameters, there should also be a configuration file or files on the TFTP server that the phone will request and download. In the configuration file or files, SIP parameters that are required by the phone to operate in a SIP VoIP environment are defined. If the phone is not obtaining its SIP parameters via the TFTP server, the phone will use SIP settings that are stored in Flash memory.

5. The firmware version is verified.

If the phone is obtaining its SIP parameters via a TFTP server, the configuration files are requested. If the phone determines that the image defined in a configuration file differs from the image it has stored in Flash memory, it performs a firmware upgrade.

When performing a firmware upgrade, the phone downloads the firmware image from the TFTP server, programs the image into Flash memory, and reboots.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: