Views
Helpful
Replies

ap 1520 and devices on poe out.

vadik2005
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

is it possible to connect some ethernet device to the poe out of 1520 AP?

how can i get traffic from that device if i know number of vlan?

thanks for help

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Did enabling ethernet bridging solved your problem or did you do anything else?

What version of software is running on the WLC? If it is 5.2.X.X, then VLAN tagging on 1520 is explained in detail in this document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/mesh/design/guide/MeshAP_52.html#wp1385965

Regarding encapsulation between the 1520 and a device on the POE, it is not possible. This traffic is not tunneled through capwap and this will not go through the WLC but will go through the RAP onto the switch.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

naks
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, you can connect any ethernet device to that port. You can typically connect a laptop or a camera.

Read Q&A about 1520 aps at this url:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5679/ps8368/prod_qas0900aecd8066a17b.html

This device would get an ip from the dhcp and traffic would flow like this:

Ethernet Device-->1520AP--->L2/L3 switch

thanks for help.

we are using lightweight access points. is it important?

i tried to ping autonomous AP 1250 that was connected to 1520's PoE out. ping failed at both sides.

they were in the same subnet, but it failed.

where should i look on wlc to solve this problem?

Hi,

Here are certain things that you need to consider before connecting devices to the POE port on 1520

1. Connecting an autonomous 1250 ap to the poe port on the 1520 is possible, but there could be potential interference/noise issues if these 2 aps are in close proximity.

2. Connecting a lwapp ap to the poe port on 1520 is bad practice and not encouraged.

3. Connecting devices like hub/switches to the poe port is not supported according to the installation doc for 1520:

(http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1520/installation/guide/1520_ch1.html#wp1046468)

Having said that, to ensure that the port does work, can you try connecting a laptop to your POE port and see if it is able to get an IP and send traffic.

Regards,

Nagendra

Your biggest problem connecting a 1250 to a 1522 is the power incompatability. The 1252 is NOT 802.3af compliant and draws more power than the standard poe AP.

Correctly said.

I should have made that clear in the last reply. I was in fact thinking of putting an external power supply for 1250 and using the POE port only for connectivity to the backbone.

The PoE port on the 1520 can provide 15.4 Watts of power per IEEE 802.3af spec. The AP-1250 with TWO RADIOS exceeds this spec and hence cannot be connected to the poe port without the external power supply. Having said that, there are issues with this design also as mentioned in the previous reply.

It would also help if you can specify what exactly is the design topology you are trying to implement.

Hi.

even if 1252 is imcopatible with 802.3af it worked, radios was up.

but its not the main, i try to connect 1252 to 1520 just for example, cause there are near me.

we are facing with problem how to receive traffic from any device on this way "Some_device -> LAP 1520 ->Switch"

Hi,

Have you enabled ethernet bridging on the 1520? You can do so through the web interface or from the CLI of the WLC. This is essential for any device to pass traffic through the 1520 POE port.

The CLI for this is "config ap bridging enable ".

Regards,

Nagendra

hi, thanks for help.

it seems like we solve this problem.

i have got another question, is it possible to encapsulate traffic between AP1520 and some devices on poe out into the capwap tunnel.

and how to use different vlans for AP1520 and for some device on PoE out?

Hi,

Did enabling ethernet bridging solved your problem or did you do anything else?

What version of software is running on the WLC? If it is 5.2.X.X, then VLAN tagging on 1520 is explained in detail in this document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/mesh/design/guide/MeshAP_52.html#wp1385965

Regarding encapsulation between the 1520 and a device on the POE, it is not possible. This traffic is not tunneled through capwap and this will not go through the WLC but will go through the RAP onto the switch.

ethernet bridging was turned on all the time. it just begun working.

thanks for help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card