VTP Domain Topology

Unanswered Question
May 18th, 2009

I have encountered an issue on ciscoworks in that if I request display view for a certain vtp domain it shows me all switches on that part of the network but does not show uplinks going to the core switch. I have attached a snapshot.

Thanks in advance.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Joe Clarke Mon, 05/18/2009 - 06:21

Is that core switch part of this VTP domain? Are there any discrepancies associated with this VTP domain, or with the core switch?

cameron.brian Mon, 05/18/2009 - 06:59

The core switch is part the VTP domain and there are no discrepancies with the domain or the core switch. I have moved the 2950 switches to ports on the core switch that have registered the link status and this has still made no difference.

cameron.brian Tue, 05/19/2009 - 02:04

Sh cd ne/ sh vlan commands work fine between the switch and the core.

The only issue that I am experiencing is that the link is not showing up on the graph. All commands are working i.e. Device attributes, Port attributes and VLAN report all work. I have deleted the device and it is re-learned but again does not show the link.

Joe Clarke Tue, 05/19/2009 - 08:45

If the link is not showing AT ALL (meaning on the layer 2 view as well), then there is a problem obtaining CDP data via SNMP on both sides of the link. This could point to a device issue. I recommend you open a TAC service request with the CDP, show ver, and show run from both of these switches.

pd.politiet.no Wed, 03/30/2011 - 22:42

Did you get any solution for this problem?

I'm experiencing the same problem with Ciscoworks 4.0 and topology view.  If I open VTP view, I'm missing som uplinks connecting the devices, but if I open Network view I can see the uplinks and the topology view looks good.  It's only when I open the view through VTP views I'm missing som uplinks.

I also have checked the same vtp config on the switches, snmp config is ok, uplinks looks ok and also the uplink config.

Wondering why?

pd.politiet.no Thu, 03/31/2011 - 00:11

Just a followup:

I can see there is a discrepancy refering to the vtp domain, but the links between the swithces are configured as trunks.

Br Geir

This Discussion