cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Install

everestmountain
Level 1
Level 1

I need to upgrade the IOS on a router, however the new IOS image is too big to be supported by the TFTP Server. Do you have any suggestions

5 Replies 5

jgreenwoodii
Level 1
Level 1

Try installing a TFTP Server that can support larger file sizes like TFTPDWIN

HTH

Jonathan

George

There are TFTP servers, as Johathan suggests, that are capable of handling large IOS image files. Two that I have used with success are 3Cdaemon and TFTPd32.

However as the image file size increases I believe that there is a real case to be made for using FTP for the transfer rather than TFTP. For one thing there is no size restriction when using FTP to transfer image files. And the transfer with FTP is much more efficient than the transfer with TFTP. Using FTP your transfer will be much more quick than when using TFTP, and as the file size increases the performance difference gets more obvious. So in your case FTP would be a good option to consider.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Use either tftp or ftp server running either CentOS or Gentoo Linux will not run into the 32MB file issue.

In addition, FTP can be optimized by WAAS to remote locations, in case you have WAAS in your network.

Rgds, Ingolf

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Try TFTP32 application. No need to install. Just click on the executable and point to the correct folder and your ready.

http://tftpd32.jounin.net/tftpd32_download.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card