cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAN Routing Question HWIC Cards

tom.gabriel
Level 1
Level 1

We connect our branches with Cisco 1841 ISR routers by using VLANS on 4 port HWIC cards. It seems to me that we should be using the local ethernet ports on the router to route the WAN traffic and not the HWIC ports. If this is the case, are there expansion cards out there to give me extra local ethernet layer 3 ports?

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, the HWIC-1FE and HWIC-2FE. I do not understand however why do you need these.

We have multiple sites that have four WAN connections coming into the site. For example our wireless tower locations that are a hub for a number of locations. Currently we have four wireless connections hooked to a 4 Port HWIC card using VLANs. Is there a better way. I believe there is, but I don't know what it is.

Actually if your current setup works fine, you should not worry about it.

One should know a lot more details about your setup to suggest an alternative.

It does work, but it seems like it could work better for us. I guess we are always looking to get the most. Thanks for the card suggestions.

You should define what means "work better" to you. In networking, we use precise definition when possible.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: