Views
Helpful
Replies

P2P Between US and Holland

jkrysinski
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We recently had a P2P circuit installed. The US side is a T1 and plugs into a 2811 with and an integrated CSU. The Holland location is a DSL line terminating into a Quick Eagle 4200E. The hand off to my LAN is via an Ethernet connection. Currently I have the Quick Eagle plugged into a Catalyst 3560. I originally intended the Holland circuit to be an E1 that would terminate into a 2811 router with an integrated E1 CSU.

How can I establish a P2P between two different technologies? Should I move the Holland Ethernet connection to the 2811 router and configure bridging?

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What problem are you trying to solve ? Does it work the way it is now ?

James

It seems to me that if you purchased a circuit from US to Holland that you should only have to worry about your ends of the circuit and that providing compatibility among the different technologies in the middle should be the responsibility of the vendor in the middle who sold the connection.

I would hope that if you configure an IP subnet on the T1 on the 2811 and if you configure a corresponding IP subnet on the 3560 that it should work. I would certainly hope that it would not be necessary to configure bridging to get this to work.

I notice that you explain that the original intent was to provision an E1 in Holland. When the plan was changed from E1 to DSL was anything explained about how the differing technologies would work together?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

I have both ends addressed but the serial interface fails to come up. My understanding is that the interface will never come up because it is using HDLC encapsulation and the device at the other end is connecting via Ethernet.

I am waiting to hear back regarding the change from E1 to DSL but I am trying to find a workaround in the event I have to live with the current setup.

James

James

There is a serious mismatch between the two ends of your new circuit. One end is using serial technology which is based on serial protocols (HDLC, or PPP, or even Frame Relay) and serial framing while the other end is DSL with different protocols and Ethernet framing.

I do not believe that there is anything you can do on the Holland end to overcome this mismatch. If they are handing you DSL you can not do anything to make it look like serial. I still believe that the responsibility should be on the vendor who sold this to provide some thing that will terminate the serial connection to your US router and transform the data for presentation as DSL on the Holland connection.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi, if the interface does not come up, the service is not being delivered, you do not accept it, and do not pay for it.

That is very common on international circuits that takes forever to provision and make work. Just another reason for which people prefers VPNs nowadays.

This said, I agree that the current setup is a bit strange but nothing prevents to work in theory (yes bridgin would be involved).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco