cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do you delete voicemails...the first time

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

My users are complaining that they have to delete their deleted messages. Apparently they are logging in to check messages and they hear a prompt that their mailbox is full and they need to delete their deleted messages.

Im not even really sure what they are talking about it, I've never witnessed it personally.

9 Replies 9

srichardson
Level 4
Level 4

It sounds to me that you are a voicemail only implementation and not Unified messaging because typically users will delete their deleted items folder in Outlook and avoid this issue.

In this case, there are two setting that you should know about.

1. The first is the one that will modify the behavior you describe on a class of service basis. Within a suspect class of service in the Unity System Admin, browse to Messages. Here you will see a setting "Deleted messages are copied to the deleted items folder ". If this is checked, Unity will place a deleted message in the "Deleted Items" folder within the user's Exchange mailbox. In a VM only installation, it is often an overlooked setting because people forget about the underlying message store. If it is unchecked, messages will be immediately and permanently deleted upon hang up.

2. The second is in the subscriber profile. This setting controls only whether the user is prompted to confirm message deletion while in the TUI, not where the message goes, so will not solve your problem. I only mention it because some users can be annoyed if they have to confirm each message deletion, if configured this way.

Navigate to Subscriber: Conversation. Scroll roughly half way down and look for a setting called "Confirm deletions of new and saved messages". Ensure that your templates are configured the way you want as well.

If you wish to configure this second setting on a global basis, there is an Advanced Tool Setting on the Unity server to modify the behavior. If this is needed, respond to this message and I'll tell you about it.

Hope all this helps!

yes, unity only environment. Havent had the time to consider integration with outlook.

I know the default template does not prompt for deletion confirmation, let me check the unity system admin bit.

Go on, I'll bite - the "Advanced Tool Setting" that you refer to, can this be used to alter or set an "Auto Purge" option at all so that 'Deleted Messages' are deleted after, say, one month?

Excellent info on your last post by the way - most useful !

Andy,

To get to Advanced Settings, which are basically Unity registry settings modifications, you will browse to Programs, Unity, Unity Tools Depot. The first tool is the Advanced Settings Tool. Double click it and you will be given a miriad of options. The one I was refering to above is called "Conversation - Confirm Delete When Deleting a Deleted Message (Exchange only)" It will globally adjust the deletion confirmation setting, overriding anything configured on the user profiles. It will not affect any auto-purge functions however. But....there is another utility for this, read on.

There is a utility you can install on Unity call Message Store Manager. It is available at http://www.ciscounitytools.com/App_MSM.htm. It will allow you to purge the deleted items folder of all or subsets of users after a schedulable time. Read the help file, it does some other mailstore management as well. I hope all this helps, Stephanie

Sorry

everytime I post it throws a tomcat error, which results in a blank post. Regardless of the browser I use.

Thanks to you guys I figured it out and the users are happy. Thanks.

Thanks Stephanie! It is the MSM app that i rally need to use by the looks of my customers requiements. Im surprised this wasn't in Uniy Tool as standard as it seems to offer some useful functions.

Quick question - we run a standalone cluster (1st server - main Unity server, second server, message store). Does the MSM app get installed on BOTH servers, or just the main Unity server?

Thanks again - very useful info!

EDIT - i seem to already have MSM on Unity 5.0 Excellent !

Seems you may have the answer, but MSM only gets installed on the Unity server. Glad I could be of assistance!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: