Views
Helpful
Replies

NME-16ESW-1G-P module and routing

jonathanaxford
Level 3
Level 3

Hi experts,

I have a Cisco 3845 router with an NME-16ESW-1G-P module installed.

I was wondering if i could use the Gigabit1/0 interface on this module as a routed port to connect to another Cisco 3845 router?

I can't have a play with it at the moment as the device is live, but i was hoping that i could simply use the "no switchport" command on the gi1/0 interface, assign it an IP address and away i go...

If this is not possible (I have read that it may not be), is it possible to utlilise a VLAN interface within the switch module to configure routing on?

Basically, i desperately need 3 routed interfaces on my router to complete the OSPF config i have and i am using the two main ones already!

Many thanks for any advice and help,

Jonathan

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jonathan

From Cisco Etherswitch modules doc -

Q. Can I configure the switch interfaces as Layer 3 ports?

A. The Cisco EtherSwitch network module and service module interfaces can be configured directly as Layer 3, or routed, ports by using the no switchport command and assigning an IP address directly to the port. Cisco Switchports on the HWIC do not support Layer 3 addresses natively; they must be assigned to a SVI and use a VLAN interface for Layer 3. Every switch port can be assigned to a unique VLAN, up to 15 VLANs maximum.

Full link -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps259/prod_qas0900aecd802a9470_ps5854_Products_Q_and_A_Item.html

Your module is a service module so you should be able to configure any of the ports as a routed port ie. "no switchport".

Jon

Many thanks Jon. I have been searching around trying to find a definitive answer and couldn't for the life of me find one!

I should be able to get onto the router within the next couple of days so will get some configs going, but thanks again for the info

Cheers

Jonathan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: